Vive Pro - USB C (Thunderbolt) vs HDMI Adapter

withayk

'Thunderbolt 3 ports in some cases can support Displayport 1.2+ signaling via virutalization or via native hardware support'

WRONG!  

https://thunderbolttechnology.net/tech/faq

'What is the difference between Thunderbolt 3 and USB-C?

Thunderbolt 3 is a superset solution which includes USB 3.1 (10Gbps), and adds 40Gbps Thunderbolt and ***DisplayPort 1.2*** from a single USB-C port. This enables any dock, display, or data device to connect to a Thunderbolt 3 port, fulfilling the promise of the USB-C connector. See more information on the Thunderbolt Blog'

Wow. You are actually just basically completely wrong. Are you stupid or just lying? Please can I speak to someone who actually knows about VR technology, please?

Thunderbolt 3 is a SUPERSET of Displayport. That means it does everything tha DisplayPort 1.2 does AND MORE. So to conclude I have a laptop with 1 TB SSD, i7 8th gen, 32GB of RAM, a Thunderbolt 3 port, a GTX 1060 6GB, Windows 10OS, Steam VR... which would cost over £1500 off the shelf for the same specs, a lot of laptop with those specs are actually over £2500, which you call an 'entry grade laptop for Fortnite NOOBS', which exceeds minimum specs in every possible way, and you say I 'completely ignored' them. And it's on me to make it work, not you. Totally ludicrous and embarrassing.

Hi Patrick, a couple of things before I respond in full. 
1. Please don't make multiple posts when a single post will do. It's unnecessary and it clutters up the forum.
2. Please do show respect towards our staff. There is no call to refer to  as "amateurish" or direct sarcastic comments towards him.

I don't claim to be an expert in electrical engineering, but from what I understand, Thunderbolt 3 requires the ports be compatible to the TB3 standard. In otherwords, you can use DisplayPort cables into a TB3 port, but not necessarily the other way around. Perhaps I'm mistaken, if you have some literature from Intel that woud bring more definitive clarity to this scenario, I would be interested in reading it. However, I don't necessarily think that's the issue. As you say, you're able to get your desktop to display on your HMD, so obviously display data is being transferred. I'm curious if you're getting any error messages in SteamVR or if you've enabled Direct Mode yet. If you can, create a System Report from SteamVR for me, upload it to pastebin and PM me with the link.

As far as the GPU goes,  is technically correct. The GTX 1060 Mobile Max-Q (Even with 6GB VRAM) underperforms (By between 10-15%) the bare minimum requirements for Vive and in fact far below the recommended requirements of the Vive Pro (GTX 1070). That said, there have been a lot of improvements to the performance on the software side, especially in terms of motion smoothing and supersampling scaling that you can probably get it to work even with that GPU.

Now that we've gotten all of that out of the way, I'd like to help you get your Vive Pro working on your laptop if it's at all possible. Above points not withstanding, you're getting an extended display on your HMD, so we have a place to begin. So let's start here: What would you like me to do?

Thank you,
-John C

Hi Patrick, thanks for all the extra info.

Can you please provide a step by step guide to your hack working of the dell g3 with the vive Pro? I'm still getting terrible frames.

The nvidia control panel shows me that only the hdmi port is connected to the gpu and that the thunderbolt uses the Intel chip. Is there a setting I can manipulate to boost the thunderbolt output?

I hope you managed to fix your base station. I can offer a small fix that may work for you regarding sound. Try downloading ASIO4ALL audio drivers, then from the panel you can select the audio output you would like to use. Might work?

Talk soon,