Tracking issues - IMU went off scale

Xirath

Hi

I am having problems with tracking when doing quick movements, i searched around and my problem sounds very similar to this post:

https://community.viveport.com/t5/Technical-Support/Controllers-Losing-Tracking-due-to-quot-IMU-went-off-scale-quot/td-p/23627

My log look similar:

Wed May 22 2019 12:04:10.623 - lighthouse: LHR-FD70BD43 C: IMU went off scale.
Wed May 22 2019 12:04:14.277 - lighthouse: LHR-FF86DB42 C: IMU went off scale.
Wed May 22 2019 12:04:16.490 - lighthouse: LHR-FD70BD43 C: IMU went off scale.
Wed May 22 2019 12:04:16.929 - lighthouse: LHR-FF86DB42 C: IMU went off scale.
Wed May 22 2019 12:04:21.608 - lighthouse: LHR-FF86DB42 C: Resetting tracking: unlikely gravity 9.32 m/s/s
Wed May 22 2019 12:04:21.608 - lighthouse: LHR-FF86DB42 C: Dropped 3 rejected updates, 22577 back-facing hits during the previous tracking session
Wed May 22 2019 12:04:21.676 - lighthouse: LHR-FF86DB42 C: ----- BOOTSTRAPPED base A4D8AE0E (immediate) distance 2.97m velocity 3.43m/s base pitch ~33.1 deg roll ~-4.0 deg -----
Wed May 22 2019 12:04:23.712 - lighthouse: LHR-FF86DB42 C: ----- CALIBRATED base A4D8AE0E at pitch 18.81 deg roll -4.15 deg -----
Wed May 22 2019 12:04:24.568 - lighthouse: LHR-FF86DB42 C: Resetting tracking: IMU misalignment unreasonably large (14, -5.3, -3.7) deg sigma 0.77
Wed May 22 2019 12:04:24.568 - lighthouse: LHR-FF86DB42 C: Dropped 12 back-facing hits during the previous tracking session
Wed May 22 2019 12:04:24.990 - lighthouse: LHR-FF86DB42 C: ----- BOOTSTRAPPED base 60A76C2E (delayed) distance 1.90m velocity 0.06m/s base pitch ~36.6 deg roll ~-7.3 deg -----

When i play beatsaber it is always my left hand that lose connection no matter which controller i use, it is almost always preceeded by the loss of haptic feedback for a few seconds before the controller completely disappear ingame.

I have already tried a few things since i first thought it might just be a reflective surface or something messing with the lighthouses:

Switching hands holding the controllers

Rotating the playspace

Isolated the playspace whith sheets

Updating graphic drivers, windows update

Reinstalling game, usb-drivers

Re-pairing controllers

Tested with one lighthouse at a time, also tried with and without sync cable, the problem persists

How do you see/determine if it is something wrong with the actual headset? Any suggestion on how to proceed would be appreciated.

See that part: " 22577 back-facing hits during the previous tracking session"

That's a reflection. Sheets might not be enough, you'll need thick opaque curtains that block IR light. A thin sheet will allow IR light through in some cases. Is there anything in your play area that might be reflecting? Metal pole? Large window? Sports trophies?

Thank you,
-John C

I must admit, I did not think about that it might still let IR light through. I got an old large tv and a fireplace whith see-through glass, I covered these with blankets and the bookcases and wardrobe with sheets, I thought that some of the movie containers might be reflective.

Is blankets not enough either?, because then my guess would be the tv but it is wall-mounted and very difficult to take down, so covering/blocking it would be prefered, if it is the tv. The windows are already covered by curtains, otherwise I removed everything I thought might be reflective, foto-frames, the lamp-shades made of some kind of metal and some decorative stuff and it was still the same. 

So I guess I should try getting some curtains to screen off the tv and fireplace next?

Definitely, I would recommend blackout curtains, because you need something that's going to pretty much block as much as possible. The older TV could definitely be the issue, also, if it's controlled via IR remote and it's on during play, that could also be IR interference.

Thank you,

-John C

• 3 weeks later...

I just wanted to post an update, apparently it was one of the controllers that were the reason for my problems. Shortly after my last post I visited a friend that also have a Vive, so I brought my controllers with me to rule them out, but as soon as we tried with them, his setup displayed the same behaviour.

There were some loose/disconnected cables in the controller, but after some work it is working almost flawlessly, I have only lost tracking one or two times during several hours of Beatsaber. Before the fix I lost tracking at least once during every song with a faster tempo. It can probably be fixed completely but this is working fine and I might just replace them with Index controllers soon anyway.

Thank you for your time and suggestions.