Classroom Installation Accounts

Bighouse

I'm planning on a classroom full of seated VIve headsets (and one room scale area) that will be used by up to 26 people at a time. I don't want students to use their own private accounts- and am leaning towards creating machine specific accounts on each computer station. Does this make sense to do? I don't see any other practical way to accomplish letting users have access to Viveport...has anyone used the Vive HTC in a classroom environment? If so, how was the account situation handled?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey , sorry for the delay in a reply here.

Looking at your idea here, I'd say that yes, a machine-specific installation of Viveport would seem to be the best solution right now. You'd need to set up accounts for each one, and download apps separately.

If long term you end up with a lot of headsets, you might find that the Viveport Arcade program might be better for you, especially if you're purchasing a lot of apps. You'd end up paying-per-minute of use, but it might be cheaper in the long run. I'm sure you have a bunch of apps in your sights that you would want to use in the classroom, but if you're planning to pay for a lot, there may be alternatives. Let me know if you want to talk more about that.

And whatever you do I really want to hear about what apps you're using in the classroom, what the kids are enjoying and any learning you have! I really hope to have more teachers and educators around here to talk about how VR can be used to help inspire and educate children (and adults!).

Well, there are many programs that use our classroom. Some involve animation and game development. Some are Architecture and Interior Design oriented. Some are more Engineering focused. So, we'll be using Revit with Autodesk Live and Autodesk Stingray, VRED, Unity3D, 3D Studio Max, Inventor and more...

Of course, we will likely have some games available to play, just to allow some down-time for students and to learn how to navigate in VR.

Understood. Where is this school? It sounds pretty cool. :)

To me, it sounds like a per-PC Steam account would probably be the best option (although from the sounds of it, some of these programs may not be Steam based... a standard Windows user set up will probably suffice). With a per-PC Steam account setup you'd be able to control who has the passwords etc, change them regularly and so on.

Good luck with it!

I would really be interested in an open dialogue with you as you go about this process. I am also a teacher and looking into grants and possiblities for my school and classroom. You sound much further along in the process and I would love to learn from you as you go. Would you be interested in communicating regularly about what you have learned? I would be more than willing to do the same and I think it is communities like this that are going to drive its adoption in the classroom.

As to answer the question on uses in the classroom, here is a really short

about some of the applications. In the video he shows a very expenisve laboratory, that would cost a school $100k+ to physically build. A student can virtually do an experiment saving costs to the school. However, what is more impressive is that in a lab much of what is happening cannot be actually observed because it is microscopic. In a virtual lab, I can shrink myself and watch what is happening on the microcopic level to better understand what the lab is teaching me. Imagine if I was capable of doing the lab, but the day before the lab the students practiced virtually and got to see on a microscopic level what is happening. Then on the next day they already have been exposed to the process without risking loss of product or damaging equipment, and they have a greater understanding of what they are actually doing.

I believe VR is capable of changing the way students learn and teachers teach the way many thought/hoped a laptop would change teaching and learning.  Simply put a school could provide an enormous amount of unique learning experiences that normally would need to be passed up because they impact too few, are too specialized, or too expensive.

Archived