A couple of questions about Focus() and Accuracy

1. What are the accuracy and the unit of the eye position get from eyeData.verbose_data.left.gaze_origin_mm? I printed the value and found that I can get the value of five or six decimal place. Are they really present the accuracy of the eye position or just only noise data.

2. What does SetEyeParameter() really do? What is the sensitive factor of gaze ray in [0,1] mean and what can it affect the user?

3. The Focus Sample in the SDK present 3 DartBoards that can show the eye focus point in different areas, but I am curious about the tremble that occurs on the border of different areas is caused by the real physiological natural eye reflex such as nystagmus? or just because the device is not accurate enough?

4. I am using EyeFocusSample to get the eye focus point at the Sci-Pi style Environment from Unity Asset Store, however, after adding the Focus(), the performance becomes low to cause the frames latency very obvious. Is this caused by considerable objects or the Raycast() used in the Focus()? if so, what's the limitation or baseline of using Focus()?

5. I need to get eye focus points at different realistic VR environments, but due to Q4, the latency actually cause a huge negative effect on my experiment. So, is there any possible to use the two directions from both eyes to calculate the eye focus point? Or the result would be very inaccurate and very different from the FocusInfo.point that get from Focus()?

Thanks for helping me to solve my problems.

(  - tag added by moderator) 

1. What are the accuracy and the unit of the eye position get from eyeData.verbose_data.left.gaze_origin_mm? I printed the value and found that I can get the value of five or six decimal place. Are they really present the accuracy of the eye position or just only noise data.

Units for eye position are reported in millimeters (mm). I will follow up with more info about accuracy.

2. What does SetEyeParameter() really do? What is the sensitive factor of gaze ray in [0,1] mean and what can it affect the user?

I will follow up with more info about SetEyeParameter and how it works with GazeRayParameter to set the "sensitive_factor".

3. The Focus Sample in the SDK present 3 DartBoards that can show the eye focus point in different areas, but I am curious about the tremble that occurs on the border of different areas is caused by the real physiological natural eye reflex such as nystagmus? or just because the device is not accurate enough?

The 3 dartboards are placed at different distances to highlight the ease/difficulty of focusing on small points from different distances.

4. I am using EyeFocusSample to get the eye focus point at the Sci-Pi style Environment from Unity Asset Store, however, after adding the Focus(), the performance becomes low to cause the frames latency very obvious. Is this caused by considerable objects or the Raycast() used in the Focus()? if so, what's the limitation or baseline of using Focus()?

Can you share a code snippet showing how you're using Focus()? And how many objects with colliders are involved in the scene? I haven't heard of any developers getting large performance problems from using Focus.

5. I need to get eye focus points at different realistic VR environments, but due to Q4, the latency actually cause a huge negative effect on my experiment. So, is there any possible to use the two directions from both eyes to calculate the eye focus point? Or the result would be very inaccurate and very different from the FocusInfo.point that get from Focus()?

You can use the gaze ray or a custom solution to calculate focus point but the Focus function should provide good results.

3. I know the three different dartboards are present different distance, but I am wondering the tremble or shake of focus point occur when I try to focus on one area (the present of focus area is seem to move quickly between this area and the adjacent area  in the same dartboard) is cause by the sensitive and accuracy of Vive pro eye device or it actually present the real eye movement? the eye really have nystagmus?

4. The environment I use is show as figure,(I'm sorry that I don't know how to caculate how many objects with colliders are involved in the scene..., may I ask how to do so? )

and the frame rate from steamVR often become red (occur latency) 

main of my code in FocusCube Script: 

private void Update(){        if (SRanipal_Eye_Framework.Status != SRanipal_Eye_Framework.FrameworkStatus.WORKING && SRanipal_Eye_Framework.Status != SRanipal_Eye_Framework.FrameworkStatus.NOT_SUPPORT) return;        EyeData eyeData = new EyeData();        SRanipal_Eye.GetEyeData(ref eyeData);                foreach (GazeIndex index in GazePriority)        {            Ray GazeRay;            if (SRanipal_Eye.Focus(index, out GazeRay, out FocusInfo, MaxDistance))                {                    EyeText.text = "EyePos: " + FocusInfo.point.ToString("F3") + "\n dis: " + FocusInfo.distance                    + "\nL gaze orgin: " + eyeData.verbose_data.left.gaze_origin_mm                    + "\nR gaze orgin: " + eyeData.verbose_data.right.gaze_origin_mm                // use struct to save data then write file when OnApplicationQuit()

break; } }}

when I run my code, I did not let text show on screen.

5. Is that mean I can use just only these two vectors: eyeData.verbose_data.left.gaze_direction_normalized and eyeData.verbose_data.right.gaze_direction_normalized caculate the intersection point to be the focus point? or must use gaze ray to achive this purpose?

Thank you very much again.

This satiation might be that you've put too many colliders into the sense.
There is a method to resolve it.
Actually, you can found out that the method Focus() wraps the unity API Physic.Raycast().

Acording to documant of unity 3d user manual, you can ignore colliders with layer mask when casting a ray.

Hence, you can manually create a layer and cast a ray only against the layer and ignore all other colliders.

https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/Physics.Raycast.html

https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/Layers.html

Thank you.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, I've made some progress in changing the parameter, but see no change in the behavior of the eye tracker.

Inside SR_anipal_Eye_Framework.cs, at the end of StartFrameWork(), I've added the folowing code that I lifted from SRanipal_EyeSettingSample.cs, with the intention of setting the parameter.gaze_ray_parameter.sensitive_factor to 1.:

EyeParameter parameter = new EyeParameter
{
gaze_ray_parameter = new GazeRayParameter(),
};

Error error = SRanipal_Eye.GetEyeParameter(ref parameter);
Debug.Log("GetEyeParameter: " + error + "\n" +
"sensitive_factor: " + parameter.gaze_ray_parameter.sensitive_factor);

// This is the only change I've made to the code lifted from the SRanipal_eyeSettingSample.cs
//parameter.gaze_ray_parameter.sensitive_factor = parameter.gaze_ray_parameter.sensitive_factor == 1 ? 0.015f : 1;
parameter.gaze_ray_parameter.sensitive_factor = parameter.gaze_ray_parameter.sensitive_factor = 1;

error = SRanipal_Eye.SetEyeParameter(parameter);
Debug.Log("SetEyeParameter: " + error + "\n" +
"sensitive_factor: " + parameter.gaze_ray_parameter.sensitive_factor);

I've attached the file here, in case that helps.

Any feedback?  @Daniel_Y@Cory_HTC?

Thanks in advance.

SRanipal_Eye_Framework.cs