Vive pro with MSI or Dell Gaming laptop does not work with Thunderbolt 2 MiniDisplay Cable

hiwi

I am setting up newly bought 2 HTC Vive pro. Unfortunately vive pro only has Mini Display to Desktop Display port type cable. Hence I ordered Mini Display port to Mini Display port cable Thunderbolt 2   via Amazon.de. I am running Vive Pro setup on MSI GR63VR 7RE Raider with GTX 1060 on Windows 10. When I was setting up in the Pro Menu, it does not detect the display port while usb port is being detected. Could you please tell me whether this cable compatible with this set up and what other alternatives can I take to set up my Vive Pro. 

- You've purchased a TB2 certified cable - TB certified cables are not compatible with DP native HMDs. Thunderbolt ≠ Displayport. Cross-compatibility between the two standards is both hardware and software dependent but in any case, you cannot use a native TB certified cable to connect a Pro.

I would recommend using this cable; it meets the requirements for the HMD. In the US we have 1 and 2M variant; I think this 2M variant is equivalent to the SKU in the US and that it should work but I'm not 100% able to confirm that this is the cable available in the US. We recommend the 1M variant as Displayport doesn't handle distance well.

A downstream issue I can see you hitting is that you're attempting to power a higher resolution HMD off of a 1060. Due to the thermal throttling and overall decrease in preformance in mobile architecture, you generally need a fully powered 1070 to power a Pro at 100% SS on a laptop. It's super laptop specific as there's such a huge variation in what OEMs integrate into consumer laptops.

• 2 years later...

Hello,

I need some help from tech support. I seem to be having the same issue. I am trying to run a HTC Vive pro 2 and I have MSI GS73VR 7RF with 1060 GTX on win 10. I plug the link box in using the disp port to mini display port OEM supplied adapter and wont detect the vr headset display. I am hoping that a higher quality cable connection will work. Please tell me that my system can run this HTC upgrade I just spent over a thousand pounds on. The reason I purchased was because I checked the spec and HTC website states "NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1060 or AMD Radeon RX 480 equivalent or greater" So I thought my 1060 would be adequate. Can you confirm?

So I need to get a cable too. As I read.. any cable 4k or over, that is Non thunderbolt and pref shorter length the better. Disp port to mini disp port converter. Can you confirm?

Regards,

Martin

On 7/16/2019 at 10:30 PM, HackPerception said:

- You've purchased a TB2 certified cable - TB certified cables are not compatible with DP native HMDs. Thunderbolt ≠ Displayport. Cross-compatibility between the two standards is both hardware and software dependent but in any case, you cannot use a native TB certified cable to connect a Pro.

I would recommend using this cable; it meets the requirements for the HMD. In the US we have 1 and 2M variant; I think this 2M variant is equivalent to the SKU in the US and that it should work but I'm not 100% able to confirm that this is the cable available in the US. We recommend the 1M variant as Displayport doesn't handle distance well.

A downstream issue I can see you hitting is that you're attempting to power a higher resolution HMD off of a 1060. Due to the thermal throttling and overall decrease in preformance in mobile architecture, you generally need a fully powered 1070 to power a Pro at 100% SS on a laptop. It's super laptop specific as there's such a huge variation in what OEMs integrate into consumer laptops.

Would this converter work? https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dell-Adapter-Mini-DisplayPort-Cable/dp/B00GK5Z0O0/ref=sr_1_64?crid=1A8M25PI617EY&keywords=displayport%2Bto%2Bmini%2Bdisplayport%2Bcable&qid=1642122634&sprefix=display%2Bport%2Bto%2Bmini%2Bdisplay%2Bport%2Bcable%2Caps%2C71&sr=8-64&th=1