Viveport Arcade: Operator FAQs

Rockjaw

Hi

just joined, ordered my VIVE totday, looking at setting up pop up stall, party hosting sideline.

AM about to order the laptop below, laptop as really need to be mobile, Do you think this will be sufficient/future proof(ish), it is reasonably priced .

OMEN by HP 17-w106na 17.3-Inch FHD Gaming Laptop (Shadow Mesh) - (Intel Quad Core i7-6700, 16 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD, 1 TB HDD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070, Winodws 10)

Also, I registered with VIVEPORT subscriptions a month ago and havent heard a word from them.

I also requested information  a month ago  about business edition (twice) and prompted follow up and havent had anything except the auto confirmation that I requested it. But disappointing, can anyone give me hope that communications get better as a paying customer?

Is there any ETA on arcade we are nearly half way thru Q1?

ANy other advice anyone would like to offer a newbie startup would be gratefully accepted :smileyhappy:

best regards

Harry

VR Party Scotland

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Stephen,

Apologies for late reply, for some reason I did not get any updates from here. 

At present, solution You offered is not yet viable. 80% of our customers are new to vr, with 20% returned business.

Those new guys want to try it all to see if they like it, which is hard if You have to ask them to swap - first it inconvenient,2nd - other booths might be occupied. I agree with You that for returning customers , who know what they want You can organize it this way.

As marketing - I meant as HTC marketing their product and mentioning where people can enjoy it, in localized way. For now You do it with currys and scan but not with arcades. I understand that You need to do quality control - but we will be more then happy to have You check up on us.

Also - while we let people try - we do it for free www.vr-here.co.uk/freevr , could we not be given rights to sell Vives to customers?

I am new to the scene here but in same boat as other operators who are posting here on forum. I  have registered on viveport site. still waiting to hear back from them on how can I subscribe on viveport program for my new arcade in USA.  Steam site licensing could kill new budding operator's business. Seems like ViveBE is advertised, but operators posting here were not able to get one available for purchase. May be those who have opened now are using consumer verison which , from  what it seems like no different than BE, except operator shells out extra money for very limited warranty. 

Has anyone been able to find a way to reduce moisture related damage to headset for prolonged uses? i do not think headset has any fans built-in to take that moisture out.

Any recomended arcade setup diagram for 6 to 8 stations in 20ftx50ft space?

Thanks in advance to anyone who replies with info that can help a new operator.

wrote:

At present, solution You offered is not yet viable. 80% of our customers are new to vr, with 20% returned business.

Those new guys want to try it all to see if they like it, which is hard if You have to ask them to swap - first it inconvenient,2nd - other booths might be occupied. I agree with You that for returning customers , who know what they want You can organize it this way.

As marketing - I meant as HTC marketing their product and mentioning where people can enjoy it, in localized way. For now You do it with currys and scan but not with arcades. I understand that You need to do quality control - but we will be more then happy to have You check up on us.

Also - while we let people try - we do it for free
, could we not be given rights to sell Vives to customers?

Hey there, no problems about the delay. Let me try and answer a few things here.

First to everyone who's been asking about updates... they're coming, honest! The arcade program is being actively worked on, from a business and software development point of view. It's a complex rollout with a lot of moving parts, so thanks in advance for your patience on this. As soon as we have more to share, we will.

Regarding marketing, I believe that's something being considered but I will pass along that feedback. You will always be welcome to advertise (in a nice way) around here. Perhaps we can start up an informal directory for people to add their business to.

Finally on being a reseller; that program is being set up right now, as I understand it. If you want to be put in contact with someone directly, send me a PM and I can direct you to the right person. It's early days, but the more interest we see, the better. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi, I was thinking about trying to start up a "VRcade", or whatever the technical term is, and while looking I found that it can be very difficult and expensive to get licenses for games for such an arcade, and that the Viveport Arcade is intended to help fix that, and I found some prices for game time, but am unsure if they are correct:

It appears that it would cost $10 for an hour of gameplay? This seems to be too expensive to be viable. I say this as, at least where I live, $10 is about how much I could charge for an hour, and $15 (which would probably barely cover rent + game fees, not to mention startup costs) would be a stretch to sell, and not many people would be willing to pay that much. Are these numbers wrong perhaps? Or am I misinterpreting them? Or is my idea of how running the arcade wrong, if so can you tell me what I should do to make these costs viable, or give me a link or source explaining this? Sorry about all the questions, it just seems like with these prices, going to individual devs may be the only way to profit from setting up  a VR arcade.

Echoing 's questions --  to run a quick scenario playing a game 'full time'...

$10/hr for 1,000 points * 8hrs of operation per day* 30 days of operation per month = $2,400

With a 50/50 split, $1,200 goes to the developer and $1,200 goes to HTC.

That seems off by orders of magnitude.  I'm not aware of any developers that charge $1,200/month ($14,400) per year for a commercal license.  Space Pirate Trainer commercial license is only $30/month.  And that's for 24 hours a day.

At $1 for 1,000 points the SPT folks would be making $120 for an 4X increase in their profits.  HTC would get $120 of the $240 per month for that seat.

At $0.25 for 1,000 points SPT takes home the $30 they're expecting -- with HTC taking $30 of the $60 per month for providing the Viveport Arcade service.  Given the massively increased reach of potential commerical licensees, it would make sense for developers to hop on board.

At sub $1 per 1,000 point prices, an arcade operator can make money while keeping prices low for visitors  -- charging perhaps $5-15/hr depending on the location of the arcade or kinds of permium services provided around the experience.  Arcades will compete on features and the users will win.

Retail space, payroll, utilities, advertising, etc are real fixed costs to consider, as well as less than full time utilization due to the ebb and flow of available visitors, especially in smaller markets. There are also significant startup costs and risks facing operators.

At $10 per 1,000 points, it doesn't seem at all viable without a co-located, tertiary, likely non-VR service or product as the primary profit driver.  If you've got to sell liquor or something just to get by then that's a lot of additional time and money and limits the total audience.

It would be awesome to see physical spaces flourish -  in particular, I think that a lot of multiplayer and social experiences would benefit from having groups of real life friends coming in and playing in groups.  The extra-low latency of being in the same place and on hte same network is also a huge advantage for certain kinds of experiences.

Are the prices correct?   Could you please clarify? Thanks in advance for your time and help!

• 4 weeks later...

Agreed. You would either need an existing establishment willing to sublease space for you to operate, an alternate product with higher profit margins or the ability to charge $40 per hour to make money at these rates. Ridiculous. They need to make more multiplayer games where kids, friends and families can come in and play with eachother and interract. HTC is going to have to rethink this. I wonder how many points they've sold to date. Even at 50% discount its still very high, and for second rate games at that. 

Archived