Does Viveport replace Steam? I couldnt switch between the two

VicoDrive

I installed Viveport last night.  While inside it, I saw an icon for Steam.  When I click it to Launch, it just brings back up the Vive store.  Nothing I could do would bring Steam back in VR or any of the Steam games I had installed.  I then uninstalled Viveport and now when I clicked the system button, I would get nothing but the power and volume controls.  Still couldnt find a way to get Steam to show back up.  All I could find to do was uninstall and reinstall Steam which worked but afraid to reinstall Viveport again.  Are there some basic settings somewhere that I was missing?

Hi  - no, Viveport doesn't replace Steam, and they should co-exist... but I'm a little confused what you're seeing. Can you clarify when in these examples you're in VR, and when in Windows (on the desktop?). 

The reason I ask is our terminology can get confusing. For example you said you were 'inside' Viveport - did you mean the part of Vive Home that has the Viveport library? You said a Steam icon - are you talking about the VR Steam icon, again within Vive home?

There's a possibility that you may have one or more of the VR dashboards set to not appear. Check the settings in SteamVR and look for dashboards. They can be checked on and off, so it's possible that caused some to disappear.

If you want to, take screenshots of what you're seeing to help out. In VR, you can take a screenshot by pressing the trigger and system button together.

Yeah I know I dont have the lingo down just yet, havent even had Vive for a week yet :-).  I already uninstalled it and heard from another that its buggy anyway and to stay away from it for now so may take his advise.

When I only had Steam and would load everything up, I would get the gray VR environment.  I would bring up Steam inside VR and go from there.  After installing Viveport, the new default VR environment was a darker world with mountains in the backgroung and HTC Vive logo in the middle.  When I would bring up the store, it was only bringing up the Viveport store.  I could never get the Steam store to come back up again in VR.  I forget how but I could load up some Vive "world" where it looked like I could create my own area, building stuff any everything from in VR.  I think it was more of a glorified home page type area where I could start games from.  There was one Steam icon I could walk up to with a Launch button under it.  When I would try to launch, it would only bring up the Vive store, not the Steam store.  I couldnt even launch anything I had in Steam.

In the end, I just installed it and leaving it as that.  I would like to have it on there along with Steam since its the official Vive store but it just seemed glitchy for now

Hey , thanks for letting me know.

We do have bugs, but we're getting better, honest. :) No problems on the lingo, it can get confusing.

I hope you don't mind a couple of follow-up questions so I can nail if this is a recurring bug. We do want to get rid of those!

The default grey environment is for SteamVR. That changes to the Vive 'night sky' scene after installing as you said (you can change it back in settings/environment, within VR). So, when you first installed I guess you pressed the system button, and it would bring up the Steam overlay with the library, etc in it. Right? Below that, you should have had 'buttons' for Steam and for Desktop.

After installing Viveport, you should have had a third 'button' for Vive. That takes you to Vive Home, which is the environment you described I think. That has a main area, and then an 'exit' for Viveport, and the Steam logo is there too.

What you're saying is then, in VR when you selected the Steam logo, you got the Viveport store? Because that's clearly not what it's supposed to do. :) Checking our setup here, when I go to the Viveport area, I can see the Viveport library. When I launch Steam, I get the Steam overlay.

Sorry to bug you. If you have time, I'd appreciate any more details you can give. Then I'll let you get back to VR. :)

Not a problem at all, I'm all about working out bugs :-).

I may have to reinstall it again to get more accurate answers but I think everything you said sounded right except I do t recall having a Steam AND Vive icons on the bottom after clicking the system button. The only Steam icon I saw was the one I have to walk up to in the Vive VR environment. Hitting that only brought up the Vive library and not the Steam one. Nothing I did ever got Steam to come back up in VR though I could bring it up on the desktop monitor.

I'll probably reinstall Vive tonight and mess with it all again and take some notes. I want to take advantage of everything Vive gives me access too! :-)

Thank you, appreciate the help .

What I definitely want to know is whether (after your reinstall) you're still seeing the Steam library launch the Viveport one. If you can, try to screenshot that (either in VR, or via your desktop using 'mirroring'). It'll help a lot. Thanks in advance!

Yeah, screenshots aren't obvious! Here's a good guide I found:

http://www.vrheads.com/how-take-screenshot-htc-vive

That will let you take a '3D screenshot'. An easier way to do it, frankly, is to activate the on-screen mirroring (do this in SteamVR settings) and then press F12 when that screen is active. That'll take a screenshot in normal Steam style. You can move the headset around (when it's not on your head) to 'look' at what you need to screenshot. If that makes sense...

I reinstalled Viveport last night and everything seems to work better now unlike before.  I am able to swap back and forth between Viveport and Steam.  The only problems I seem to be having now is that while on a game or app, it would constatly drop me out to the default standby room for about a second at a time.  Made many things just too unplayable to deal with.  Not really sure its even related to the original topic.  May play with it a bit more tonight and see if its still going on.  Thanks!

Great that you're having less problems, ... not so great for the 'dropouts' though. How often does it happen? What's it manifesting as - does the app / game crash?

Are you sure you're not seeing the 'grey' effect? That can happen when you exit the chaperone area. If the app or game isn't crashing, but it 'vanishes' effectively, then that might be what it is.

Archived