Vive Pro + Wireless jitter stutter every 3 seconds

BackWithPipes

On 4/6/2020 at 3:32 PM, Dracasis said:

I have a feeling its CPU related and, more specifically, the 'turbo boost' setting that allows the system to overclock your CPU for short bursts of extra processing power. My main PC dose not have a turbo boost and worked perfectly fine with the wireless and my new AMD motherboard/CPU that also dose not use turbo boost has had no issues with this. I would have liked to research it a bit more but my VR motherboard didnt seem to have a way to turn off turbo boost for me to try and run it stability and I didnt have another board to test it on that did.

Thus take this as speculation but, since the VR compositor appears to use all additional available CPU power, it may have been pushing into the turbo boost range. Since TB is only supposed to be used for quick bursts of speed (3 seconds?), it then hitches when the boost timer ends. But I have a Noctua CPU cooler that kept the hardware cold enough that it just immediately makes TB available again perhaps. Setting the VRcompositor to high priority means, when the TB drops, the compositor is less likely to be the one to suffer from the sudden malnourishment of processing power.

If you have a Turbo Boost CPU and can disable it in BIOS, might be worth giving it a try. Not an ideal solution if that happens to be the case but better than flying blind.

Thank you! That was an good idea! I disabled the Turbo boost and confirmed first the clock would stay fixed at 3.5Ghz.  Interestingly it did had an effect in HL:Alyx, the problem got worse, confirming CPU speed was at least a factor. I then proceeded the opposite way and overclocked the i7-4770K (since I already had installed a very strong cooler), and the studdering problem diminished - but was still present.

Over the week-end, I got my hands on a GTX1660 and swap out the RTX2070 for the GTX. I was hoping this would work - but it didn't. Maybe the root cause is deeper.. but who knows.

Nonetheless, I also received the new parts and now I have an Asus Z390-E Gaming with an i5-9600k. With the RTX2070, the issue has fully disappeared! HL:Alyx with HTC Vive Wireless is very sharp and fluid - everything at ULTRA!

I spent a lot of time trying to interpret the Bottleneck calculator of pc-builds.com, since they make interesting claims on matching different generations of hardware. I could not confirm their math (the community seems to have quite on debate on it to say the least) but in a way - I can see the logic behind it.

One piece of hardware can consume so much bandwith that in theory could make other pieces wait longer. If it were back in the 90s I would check the IRQ conflicts - but that is from a time long past. To solve this, I think a performance monitor tool of PCIe Lanes would be the next step - but I've never seen any such tools. More research would be key here.

Anyway - Thanks a lot for responding, since my new machine does not have the issue, i'll be enjoying the game for a while, rather than troubleshooting.

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

My configuration is: i5 8600K;  2070S;  16gb RAM.  Vive Pro Wireless Kit.  Problem: With Alyx,  go jercky ...the FPS do not keep the 90 even if I put everything at low and SS at 80, the CPU goes to 85-100% of use.  Instead with the cable remains at 90 FPS with all ultra and SS 150

• 2 months later...
On 8/31/2019 at 11:24 AM, BackWithPipes said:

Hello all,

I have now a working wireless setup.
What I have don is first I have changed the GPU with a diferent chipset. I replaced the RTX2070 with a radeon RX580. Also this gave me the same results. Smooth with wire and every 2 seconds a stutter with wireless. There was now only 3 things left that could cause this behavior:
CPU
RAM
Motherboard

Because it is a some what older model the CPU socket (1150) is not used anymore on today's CPU's. So replacing only the CPU could be difficult. That same is for the motherboard as well. Finding a different one with also good specification could be long and hard. And for the RAM I don't even start to look them up for replacing.

Because I also a busy guy, and want to get playing instead of replacing every part of my computer to find out what the problem is. I have bought a brand new PC.1350657603_1882311787_pcs-msi-a-8sd-497eu-infinite-a-8sd-497eu.thumb.jpg.4ba48e5c1b677d40d3ca9144b3c9a6e0.jpg

It is a MSI Infinite A 8SD-498EU
It has a Intel I7 8700 3,2Ghz - 4,5Ghz with 6 cores
16 GB DDR4 ram
And the MSI RXT 2070 GPU

And after setting up the PC and windows 10. I installed first the wired part en checked if that is working. And it was. After that, I installed the WigiG adapter in de PC and installed the vive wireless software. And and without much trouble it was working perfect. It is it same as with wire.

So conclusion: the Wireless adapter is a little bit picky I think with use on some older boards. But what I think is that the problem is a software/BIOS issue rater then hardware.

Hello, i know this is an old Post but i have now the same PC. I am happy with it, but how the hell can i reach the Pci slot for the Wigig Card? Because the GPU ist build in vertically i cant reach the pci slot. Do i need to remove the GPU first? Cant find anything in the internet. Thanks in advance!

• 3 months later...

I had this same exact issue with my wireless system and tried a couple of the aforementioned solutions. I went to my BIOS and turned off my "OC Genie" and set all pcie settings to Gen3 instead of auto. That seems to have fixed my problem for now. Thought I should report.

Specs as follows:

MSI Gaming 5 Z97

EVGA GTX 1080ti hybrid

i7-4790k

16GB DDR3 1600

SSD 

• 5 weeks later...

Did this ever get resolved?  We encounter the same issue only in Wireless mode, and with two separate wireless adapters and/or WigGig cards.  It is quite off putting and our customers are also complaining.  It is a slight systematic jitter every second or so in the entire FOV.  It evens happens in the Steam Home so it is not specific to our software product.

Thanks

Specs
HTC Vive Pro Eye/HC Vive Pro

Wireless Apdater

i8 CPU/16Mb RAM, 2080/1080 cards

• 2 months later...

I had this issue NOT in wireless mode, found this thread and went digging. Ended up changing my Graphics Settings: Hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling to ON and VR Dashboard Options --> High Performance (choose the NVIDIA GPU)

i7-10th Gen Intel & 32GB RTX 3070 (Alienware laptop) on HTC Vive Pro Eye (wired)

Haven't had it since! (Don't know if this fixed it, or restarting was enough). 

Edited by CourtnieJean

I was looking with the windows process monitor to see if there is any process that takes a lot of cpu/gpu time. What I noticed is that dwm.exe (Desktop Windows Manager) is taking some GPU time frequently. This process is one of windows 10 bottleneck.  I have already every fancy windows 10 desktop setting set to low of off.

On 3/11/2021 at 5:38 PM, kumarkuldeep6 said:

I was looking with the windows process monitor to see if there is any process that takes a lot of cpu/gpu time. What I noticed is that dwm.exe (Desktop Windows Manager) is taking some GPU time frequently. This process is one of windows 10 bottleneck.  I have already every fancy windows 10 desktop setting set to low of off.

My configuration is: i5 8600K;  2070S;  16gb RAM.  Vive Pro Wireless Kit.  Problem: With Alyx,  go jercky ...the FPS do not keep the 90 even if I put everything at low and SS at 80, the CPU goes to 85-100% of use.  Instead with the cable remains at 90 FPS with all ultra and SS 150 mx player for pc

• 1 year later...

Weird thing that HTC don't know about their own stuff. Some time ago I reached them via chat and after doing some tests and sending them some logs they asked me to send my equipment, as they told me that my equipment had an issue. Question is I'm from Brazil and it would take lots of time to send it and have it back. So I started an investigation and saw that lots of people were having the same issue as me.

I tried everything. Formated my PC, unplugged all USB PCI-e cards, my AVerMedia card - which I'm still not using as I still don't have a mirrorless camera and I'm still using my Logitech Brio - installed fans on the top of vive wireless, switched the WiGig card to every free slot and I still kept having the disconnection issue. I started messing with everything that was possible, even disabling the anti virus and everything you can't even imagine - for months - and nothing worked.

Then I searched for the folder in which the exe to start vive wireless is found. There are some extra exe files over there and I started running every each of them. Then I found a file called PCIeGenConfig.exe. I ran it and it opened a window with an option to enable PCIeGen setting. And then... ta-daaaaah! My disconnection issue was simply gone!!! It seems the WiGig card has some problems regarding the PCI-e gen from some motherboards, and that's what I'm talking about when I told you that it seems HTC doesn't know about their own stuff.

Lots of people struggling to maintain connection with their Vive headsets, and it can be simply resolved by running this exe and enabling this PCIeGen thing. The weirdest thing is that when I searched on Google for this exe file I found only 2 pages mentioning it! That gives me the creeps! It's a simple fix that even HTC doesn't have a clue about! It would be good if you could report my case to them, as they could just give people this instruction instead of asking guys to send them their equipment that's actually in good shape! End of story lol with a happy ending! I hope my experience and resolutions can help more people that are suffering because of the lack of knowledge of a company that doesn't understand their own devices! Regards from Brazil!