Headset was working flawlessly for weeks, now suddenly no display/black screen

threeeleven

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me the problem was that I couldn't get the Vive headset showing video from the very beginning. I eventually found the problem and was able to correct it. When I first set up the system, which included the bundled HP computer, I had set up the computer first, and connected the monitor to the right-most connector on the graphics board, which is the only one, using a standard HDMI connector, that it would fit into. So far, so good. The computer itself worked. But when I subsequently connected the Vive to the graphics board, using an HDMI-Display adapter, to any of the other three graphics boards connectors, it just didn't work.

The solution was to connect the Vive to that right-most graphics board connector (WITHOUT the adapter) and connect the monitor to any of theother three grapbhics board connectors (using the adapter).

SInce this setup came as a bundle, it would have been really nice if it also included some info about connecting to the graphics board, which connector to use for the monitor and which to use for the Vive.

• 6 months later...

I am having the exact same issue with the headset display not turning on.

Green light on side of headset, tracking, display mirror shows correct image but the headset does not show anything.

I have been intermittently successful at getting the grey screen to appear in the headset for a few seconds after rebooting, but it just turns itself off after a while.

When you say that the grey screen appears for a while and then it shuts I'm curious if it's shutting off due to inactivity. Are you wearing the headset when it behaves this way or is the headset off of your face? The HMD has a proximity sensor and turns off the screens when it doesn't detect a user. 

Yes, we are wearing it.

I think we have tracked down the problem, it took a couple hours yesterday.

After a lot of testing, the power cord coming from the linkbox to the HMD, or the port on the linkbox itself is turning the screen off and on. I don't know how this is possible but when tension is put on the chord, it shorts the HMD, but ONLY the screens on the inside, tracking according to the monitor software and everything else continues to function (the headset still appears green in steam as well), the light on the side of the headset is also still green.

I have ordered both a new cable and linkbox since I do not know which is the culprit but we are fairly certain over here that it is the linkbox.

Also, after looking at how the linkbox is designed I would strongly recommend that HTC/Valve release a cable tension bracket so that these linkbox's dont continue to fail for all of your customers who have larger than average play spaces. We believe that the linkbox (if it has failed) failed because our play area is 4M x 3M and the tension on the cable when on the far side of the play area from the linkbox caused wear on the port. The distance is far enough that tension picks the cable off the ground in the far corner from the linkbox putting all the weight of the cable on the three ports.

I believe I have experienced similar symptoms. That's why I was gung-ho about you checking the cabling. On mine, I wasn't sure whether power or HDMI but it also seemed to be sensitive on output side of link box. I also had the thought of a strain relief clamp of some sort. I second Droolguy's request. And I'm not in that big a play area, I just tend to get my cables wrapped around my chair when playing seated and twisted in a knot when playing room-scale.

I had this problem a couple of days after i got my Vive. After checking all connections I was fairly confident that the issue was the 3-in-1 cable itself. My symptoms were black outs (just black) periodically, strange cross-eyed views sometimes as well. The problem is a matter of time if you let your cable get twisted up to much. KEEP AN EYE ON THE TWIST! The cables are fairly week and twisting will break them. After a discussion with my kids, I was told that yes indeed the cable had gotten very twisted up and that was my clue that there was a minor fracture somewhere in the cable. I orderd a new one from HTC, it arrived in 2 days and not a problem since.  

I have installed both the new cable and the new link box and now I can not get the in HMD screens to turn on at all.

Software is still saying that everything is working though.

This is getting really frustrating as this is not a cheap piece of hardware, not to mention the couple hundred dollars in software for it I am currently unable to use.