Cosmos Battery Life Idea

Dicehunter

Just watched a few videos that released today on YouTube and people were told that the average battery life is going to be 2 hours on the Cosmos controllers which is kind of short and I know I will easily burn through that in a single play session, I'm guessing it's due to the extremely bright tracking lights on the controllers.

How about this for an idea, Let us turn the lights down with a slider ranging from 0% to 100% with a "Tracking Precision Meter" letting us know how inaccurate/accurate it will get as we increase or decrease the lights ?

@Caesar T

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Hello, this information "2 hours for battery" is real ? Official ? Because it seems to me extremely little. But your idea is really good. Just check that the tracking is not in need of 100% light to be optimal.
Edited by Melibellule

• 1 month later...

@Dicehunter @Melibellule

Cosmos uses AA batteries in its controllers. A figure that has been previously reported is incorrect, and unfortunately, widely circulated. We’ve seen a wide range of performance and expect four to eight hours depending on light, environments, type of content, and other variables. The quality of the battery itself may also impact longevity. Our engineering team will continually work to optimize for performance. We’ve tested NiMH rechargeable batteries and found them to perform well.

https://blog.vive.com/us/2019/10/07/vive-cosmos-continuing-update/

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Don't know where this 2hrs came from. My first set lasted me way more then 8hrs and probably more than 10hrs as i only took note from how often i had to charge my Wigig Battery and it lasted about 5-6 of those before i changed them. 

When i changed them they still had one dot left on both controllers. 

16 hours ago, Cossack said:

Don't know where this 2hrs came from. My first set lasted me way more then 8hrs and probably more than 10hrs as i only took note from how often i had to charge my Wigig Battery and it lasted about 5-6 of those before i changed them. 

When i changed them they still had one dot left on both controllers. 

Scandals get clicks, especially in the current VR ecosystem 😉. This was a situation in which an incorrect agent response was blown up by Reddit pre-release.

In reality, battery life will also heavily depend on the quality/brand of the batteries you're using so there's no one sized fits all answer when combined with different usage patterns. I'd personally recommend Eneloop rechargeable in all of my devices. They're a highly reputable brand that has been widely adopted by the photography community due to their quality and capacity (they have a reputation for not leaking/bursting which matters when putting them in expensive gear). Since Cosmos uses optical (white light) for the tracking fiduciaries - it does require a decent amount of current hence why two battery cells are required.