Vive Cosmos & Beat Saber

It all depends on where you're at in Beat Saber. I own both the cosmos and Vive Pro now. As someone who has over 20 songs at grade S or higher on Expert+, the Cosmos is inferior to the Vive Pro. At least with the inside-out tracking. Outside-in tracking is so much better. While the December 20 beta update helps a lot, it's still like comparing 99% with 100%. But in Beat Saber on Expert+, that little bit off can mean a lot of misses and frustration. Watching your saber drift off somewhere it shouldn't, missing the block and hitting the bomb right next to it, or swinging a block out of sight to have the tracking miss it, all these things make the outside-in tracking far superior. 

But I understand they will be releasing a face plate soon for outside in tracking. That might be worth an investment when you get to that stage of your Beat Saber development.

I have has my cosmos for about 3weeks.

Beat Saber game worked very well indeed when I bought it 2 weeks ago. Very stable, no juddering, extremely good tracking at near expert mode. Then one day I switched on my pc and Cosmos and Beat Saber became almost totally unstable whether run on wireless or cable. It's screens where twisting left then right up and down and the controllers would disappear then reappear. Everything would then be in slow motion, the savers would then move in slow motion.  I would sometimes hear the headset disconnecting from Windows then reconnecting.

It doesn't feel like a tracking problem.

I haven't been able to find a solution. It seems so strange as all similar games to Beat Saber have excellent tracking and the display doesn't wobble all over the place.

I must emphasize beat saber worked really well. Unless recent windows updates have screwed up something? Who knows?

16 hours ago, Shipmate said:

I have has my cosmos for about 3weeks.

Beat Saber game worked very well indeed when I bought it 2 weeks ago. Very stable, no juddering, extremely good tracking at near expert mode. Then one day I switched on my pc and Cosmos and Beat Saber became almost totally unstable whether run on wireless or cable. It's screens where twisting left then right up and down and the controllers would disappear then reappear. Everything would then be in slow motion, the savers would then move in slow motion.  I would sometimes hear the headset disconnecting from Windows then reconnecting.

It doesn't feel like a tracking problem.

I haven't been able to find a solution. It seems so strange as all similar games to Beat Saber have excellent tracking and the display doesn't wobble all over the place.

I must emphasize beat saber worked really well. Unless recent windows updates have screwed up something? Who knows?

That sounds to me like a cable issue. Either you have a bad connection or (more likely) a bad cable. You should contact support. I would also advise getting some sort of pulley system set up to keep the cable off the ground and behind you so that you're not stepping on it.

Here is a couple of song runs in Beat Saber on Expert+ and Expert mode. Note that I usually get S or SS on these songs. You can partly see the sabers drifting still. The main issue is not so much when they are in front and visible but when using the controller is used for an action without directly looking at what is being hit to the side.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiJamP5Q1vs&feature=youtu.be

Note: The video is demonetized and delisted so there are no copyright issues with the songs.

Edited by James4ever

I've just totally reinstalled windows 10 from scratch on my PC. I installed all the drivers for the graphic card and the mbd and HTC Vive cosmos software with steam.

Beat Saber is now working really well. As far as I can tell excellent tracking too. Fingers crossed everything else is running ok. I'll see how it goes. It's a big improvement. I think something had screwed up in the windows 10 Operating System.

Just switched on my PC and Beat Saber is Juddery all over again. It's unplayable. 

My hopes had risen. I Do have a ticket with tech support. Gave them lots of files and logs. Not heard anything for several days.

The tracking is extremely responsive and fast in the games foyer where you see scores and options. Then when I press play all he'll breaks loose and screen is all over the place again and virtual sabers vanish. This is what happened previously whether cabled or wireless.

The last few days it's been working really well. I thought I'd fixed it. Am getting really disillusioned.  Got till Saturday to return my Cosmos for refund. Return details are already arranged.

Has anyone had this situation?

4 hours ago, Shipmate said:

Restarted game, then heard windows hardware disconnect noise then display went dark on headset!

Now when running Beat saber I get message (on my pc screen) SteamVR encountered a critical error, restart steam, quit steam.

Sounds like a PC/video card issue. What specs pc are you running? Did you test the video card with some non-VR game? Also, did you test the DisplayPort with a monitor and the USB 3.0 slot you're using?

That would eliminate more obvious issues.

Here is a comparison of the HTC Vive Cosmos and HTC Vive Pro in Beat Saber. First, would like to show two videos of the same 3 songs(one I linked earlier).

HTC Vive Cosmos: 

HTC Vive Pro: 

You'll see from above that the Vive Pro video has a much higher score and accuracy in all songs. 

The Vive Cosmos does okay when the controllers are in front, but whenever they leave the view of the face cameras or are only in the view of 1 camera, they tend to drift or be non-responsive. 

The Vive Pro doesn't have the same level of tracking issues. It's fairly seamless and you feel well connected with the environment the whole way through.

Vive Cosmos controllers are much lighter than the Vive Pro controllers and so song fatigue is less. However, in Beat Saber, I don't mind the extra weight because it just means more calorie burn. 

The grip on the Vive Cosmos controllers are better than the factory shipped Vive Pro controllers. But both could be improved on. The Pro controllers tend to slide out of the hands over time, due to their tapered shape. If there was one thing I wished Vive would offer is the V1, 3D printed mod here, what I refer to as "The Hilt': https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3643970

Currently I am using another 3D printed mod here, that I refer to as 'The Grip': https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2982472

The Grip attachment works great but the current design is quite sharp at the finger separator. It tends to cause blisters on the palm as it slides back and forward during quick swings. So it limits play time to 15 minutes. But it does help the grip a lot. The Hilt looks very promising but so far I haven't figured out how to drills holes into it in order to affix it to the controller. If Vive offered something like this attachment that is more professionally done, that would be a serious life-saver. And perhaps they could consider redesigning future controllers so that the bottom gets larger at the end. 

• Like 2