Field of View: Not getting close to 110, vignette problems?

Phr00t

After testing the Vive Cosmos, I can confidently say the field of view is much lower than 110 degrees, and very disappointingly so. My Samsung Odyssey+ puts up consistently better numbers.

I'm using the following tool: https://github.com/phr00t/hmd-fov-tester

The Odyssey+ gets me about 104 degrees horizontal, while the Vive Cosmos gets about 93 degrees horizontal. This is very noticeable in games. Vertical field of view was very similar between the two headsets.

I'm really hoping this is due to the much stronger horizontal edge vignette on the Vive Cosmos, and not due to optics or physical display. Please, please let us reduce this vignette effect, so the display can be fully utilized and hopefully realize the full field of view on this headset.

I'm happy to hear tracking is being worked on (hopefully also headset tracking). However, I haven't heard anything addressing the field of view or aggressive vignette. I did submit an issue via Vive Console.

There is some hope here! Looking towards the right of the right lens, and left of the left lens appears to show a section backlit by the LCD panel, but NOT rendering anything due to the vignette. If this vignette could be disabled, it should offer a significant jump to the field of view.

Thanks for your input but I honestly do not personally notice any significant FOV differences between any of the VR headsets that I have owned;

WMR Dell, Rift cv1, Rift S,  Oculus Go, and Vive Cosmos.  They all seem fine to me. 

I don't like moving my eyes all over the place and I prefer to just shift my head. like I would do normally.  Maybe one of the reasons that Tobi eye tracking never worked well for me. 

One positive thing I have noticed with my new Cosmos compared to my Rift cv1 is that the vertical FOV seems a bit larger.  This means I do not need to shift my head up/down as much, lol!

You really need to use a tool to quantify field of view, and I did. You can use the linked tool above to do your own test on all SteamVR headsets. Turn your head until the crosshair on the floating box ahead disappears. Do it for all directions and measure the difference. 95 can "seem fine" but is disappointing if you are suppose to be getting 110, or at least results from cheaper headsets. Simply using more of the LCD panel could be an effective solution.

@Phr00t

Ah you're awesome. Thanks for sharing us you feedback and suggestion. I will share this with our Engineering team and have them evaluate this as this falls out of my subject expertise. I'll update you if I hear anything back from them.

Thanks again!
Steve

@Phr00t & @Fink,

Our engineering team updated me last night, and they are aware of this and looking into it. That's the latest I have so far, and the good news is that it's on their radar and are active about this topic. I'll update you when I hear more here. Also, feel free to follow up end of next week. 

Thanks,
Steve

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, stvnxu said:

@Phr00t & @Fink,

Our engineering team updated me last night, and they are aware of this and looking into it. That's the latest I have so far, and the good news is that it's on their radar and are active about this topic. I'll update you when I hear more here. Also, feel free to follow up end of next week. 

Thanks,
Steve

It will be interesting to hear back as to what they actually think about this.