Cosmos Beta release - 1.0.7

C.T.

Unfortunately this version caused me a number of problems with controller tracking in many applications - controllers snapping back into place slower, not being correctly aligned with real position or drifting. I have reverted back out of beta, and with the previous version they are back to working much better.

Edited by harryk
  • Like 1

Same here.

Especially witch some difference in lightning, like a window it's still a no-go.

I also got a lot of jumps, especially when going on ears height  with maybe 15-20 cm distance to the headset.
At this way I'm now running into missing some notes all the time on Beat Saber.

@C.T. @stvnxu

• Like 1

Отслеживание контроллеров так и не исправили,при их пересечении дальний теряется присутствуют подергивания, есть ли надежда на исправление или придётся вернуть Vive cosmos обратно в магазин???

@Phr00t, @Hasp, @Dickytwo, @jegra45, @DoubtlessOne, @harryk, @A-Jey, and all others experiencing issues with this beta version,

Thanks for your honest feedback and support! Regarding your controller tracking / occlusion issues, could you help us by submitting an issue report and putting in the report description "Beta feedback v1.0.7 - (1-2 sentence about issue)"

@TomCgcmfc ,

Sorry to hear your the update isn't working out for you. If you have the time, submitting a report on the v1.0.7 would help us look into the issue you mentioned especially the tracking. I totally understand if you do not wish to.

Again, thank you for all the feedback! I'll continue to work to bring this to our team's attention to address.

Steve

14 minutes ago, stvnxu said:

@TomCgcmfc ,

Sorry to hear your the update isn't working out for you. If you have the time, submitting a report on the v1.0.7 would help us look into the issue you mentioned especially the tracking. I totally understand if you do not wish to.

Again, thank you for all the feedback! I'll continue to work to bring this to our team's attention to address.

Steve

Hi Steve, sorry mate but I'm not prepared to go back to 1.07 right now because it caused me la few problems and it took me a while to roll back to 1.05 in order to get things back to normal (whatever normal is for the Cosmos, lol!).  When another update comes out I will  file a bug report (which seems to take ~30 minutes to generate btw) if necessary.  I realise that we all need to work together to help fix these early issues but I gotta say I'm getting pretty close to the end of my tether.

I'm very disappointed that Cosmos Controller bindings and displays in Steam and Viveport apps have not been made fully compatible  In many cases either do not work or are missing actions.  Having the Cosmos show up as Vive wands, which then often makes you have to do silly things like pressing down the thumbsticks in different directions to emulate the Vive Wand's touchpads is unacceptable imho.  The Cosmos controller layout is very similar to my Oculus Rift touch controllers.  I cannot understand why the Cosmos controllers cannot be made to emulate these rather than Vive wands.  Passing the buck onto developers is not helping any of us users right now.  I have looked at Cosmos controller rebinding options within SteamVR but I have not been successful in getting these to work properly.  Surely 'someone' can come up with a universal Cosmos/Rift Touch Controller binding script that could at least be used with Oculus compatible games/apps.  Because of the poor Cosmos controller compatibility I'm finding that all Oculus Rift compatible Viveport games are much better to play with my good old Rift cv1 w/2x sensors and .with a little 1.5-2.0 super sampling ,they almost look as good.  Since I bought the Cosmos to upgrade my Rift, I'm obviously pretty disappointed right now.

One thing to add, and it may or may not be relevant.  Yesterday when I was testing out the Cosmos pass through cameras in normal mode I noticed that the auto-exposure is very sensitive to very slight changes in room lighting conditions.  My hobby room is pretty evenly lite but small movements (sideways or up/down) resulted in fairly big kicks in the auto-exposure.  This normally only took a second or two to correct but there definitely was a bit of flashing/spiking in between these corrections.  So, maybe the auto-exposure gains are incorrectly set?   Yesterday I did a similar test with a friend's Rift S (I have the original Rift cv1 w/2x sensors and it does not have pass through).  The Rift S pass through looked like a black and white horror film but at least there was very little auto-exposure correction going on, even when moving into fairly different lighting levels.  I really do not know enough to to say for sure but maybe this is contributing to our current tracking issues?  Anyway, I just thought I would pass this on.

• Like 1

I can exactly confirm that here in my living room.
The exposure changes extremely on slight head movement.

And I got serious tracking issues because on one site in the room it's brighter and on the other a bit darker.

I did a room setup on daylight and in the evening the headset didn't realize this room anymore because of missing daylight and now with artificial light.
I had to do the room setup again and then the room got registered and I came back into vr displaying.

That's another thing I don't like:
I got a second computer in the cellar.
When I take my headset there I got to do the room setup.
When I move back to my living room, I got to do the room setup again.
When I got back into cellar I gotta do it again.

It would be nice if the room-setup of different rooms could be automatically changed.
I think that would be not too hard: different computer means different software installation.
So the room setup data could be saved on the pc and offered to be send to headset when it seesa different room setup on the headset.

Or simply save more than one room setup on the headset.

Edited by A-Jey

On 10/28/2019 at 12:28 PM, stvnxu said:

@Phr00t, @Hasp, @Dickytwo, @jegra45, @DoubtlessOne, @harryk, @A-Jey, and all others experiencing issues with this beta version,

Thanks for your honest feedback and support! Regarding your controller tracking / occlusion issues, could you help us by submitting an issue report and putting in the report description "Beta feedback v1.0.7 - (1-2 sentence about issue)"

@TomCgcmfc ,

Steve

Just sent. Trace No: 20191029142707. Btw since it says logs, is there a folder somewhere on my computer where I can read those logs as well?

@C.T.

On 10/27/2019 at 3:23 PM, Dickytwo said:

I think it has now come to the stage when pre-order guys have to make a choice whether to keep this 'not fit for purpose as sold' headset.

For those that do, I would expect some sort of olive branch made by HTC for their faith. Whether that is a discount on the base station tracking module or something else, some gesture needs to be made.

Beyond all the crap, this product is a huge rip off as is. Even if HTC fix the tracking issues, how are you going to placate the people who pre-ordered this expecting so much more, even just something that worked out of the box?

I have decided to keep it because I'm not having as many issues as others have reported. I'm on the 1.0.7 beta build now and have seen improvements with tracking. I do have issues still with sniper games or bow and arrow games, but it seems like the prediction has improved (albeit slightly). Lighting hasn't been an issue for me either. However, I agree that something should be done for early adopters who have kept the Cosmos. Even though I've been generally happy with it, for the price, it should've been more stable from the get-go. I read constant posts on Reddit and other sites where users have simply given up and returned it. To be honest, I almost did as well. However, adopting tech does come with risks. Had I waited a few weeks, I don't think I would've purchase the Cosmos. That being said, I have enjoyed my time with the unit and expect improvements in the upcoming weeks. 

Please don't make me regret this purchase, HTC. I have supported you in the past and would like to do so comfortably in the future.

• Like 3

@joellipenta,

Glad to hear the 1.0.7 beta build is working for you! Thank you for your trust, and taking the risk on us. We promise the improvements will be ongoing. I agree with you on supporting the early adopters, and will engage in an internal discussion on this. My role is to listen, support, and resolve the reported issues and feedback so I'll take it upon myself to make you not regret your purchase! Thank you again and we're working hard to make this up to you and all others that expressed dissatisfaction. 

Steve

@DoubtlessOne,

Thanks for sending us the report. Confirming I've received it and will send to engineering team to leverage in improving the occlusion. I don't know the answer to the log question, but I've made the ask internally and will get back to you once they've responded.

Thanks,
Steve