Cosmos Beta release - 1.0.7.1

C.T.

VIVE Cosmos Beta 1.0.7.1 – Beta Release Notes

Released 30th October 2019

[Tracking]

-        HMD

• Reduced tracking jitter when using VIVE Wireless Adapter.
  • Fixed a bug where the too bright/low light toast notification wouldn’t show up.

-        Controller

• Improved near-HMD tracking jitter.

[Room Setup]

-        Updated the environment UI around the animations for the room scanning step.

-        Fixed the null button UI bug for Chinese (Traditional/Simplified), Korean and Japan languages.

[ViveVR Runtime]

-        Origin no longer is forced as the default home environment.

-        Added Non-HDCP HMD error message, a bug affecting certain laptops with an Nvidia GPU, now separately reported as Error Code 220 (previously aggregated with Error Code 210).

-        Updated low light notification strings for Dutch, Danish, Finnish, Norwegian & Swedish languages.

• Thanks 3

Nice update.  Controllers are much more stable and do not seem to bounce around much at all.  Also a lot better in low light.  I'll try brighter conditions tomorrow.  I was actually able to play a few archery and slingshot games a lot better.  I think we are ~90% there regarding tracking.  Only minor problem I noticed was sometimes I needed to click on an app several times within the lense menu in order to get it to go to it's start window.  Overall a nice trick and treat, lol!  Thanks.

• Like 2

Update,

I tried this beta this morning under brighter conditions and everything worked pretty well.  No Vive console start to ready lag and apps selected from the Lense menu all worked fine.  Also, I now seem to be able to get controllers at least 6 inches away from the front of my headset without any jitters (closer and they snap to the headset).  I did the draw lines thing in Origin and as long as I kept both controllers at least 6 inches in front of my headset I did not notice any controller's jumping around.

Looks to me like we are ~90% there imho and I'm feeling a lot better regarding my decision to keep my Cosmos.  Good job Vive engineers!

Besides further tracking fixes I think we also need to have Vive and Developers get onboard the same train and fix the Cosmos controller compatibility issues. 

• Like 1

Headset tracking is better, hardly lose it now and I am trying fringe situations to purposely bug it out.

Bugs

1. If I exit Origin(close from SteamVR dashboard) my selection resets to normal camera view and I have to go to the Vivelens settings menu and reselect my preference for the camera. Sometimes it remembers my selection but I still have to go to the Vivelens settings menu (just click the gear icon) for my selection to take effect.

2. In Vive Console's settings "Use VIVE Origin as your default VR home" is greyed out and can't be changed. You fixed Origin auto starting but now as far as I can see there is no option to set it for those who want it and I am guessing having a menu option that can't be changed is not intended.

3. Every time after an update the tutorial for the Vivelens and Origin is reset and I have to redo and complete all the tedious steps for the voice over to stop prompting me. Remembering if you completed the tutorial between updates should be normal. If possible an option to skip a tutorial would be welcome in case my settings are reset due to an update or a reinstallation cause chances that I would like to redo the tutorial after months when I do a clean install would be zero.

4. When I am in my empty 3D room/world and I select to go to Origin I get a transport animation. When Origin is ready the transport animation doesn't clear, I can hear the sounds, I can interact in the blind, teleport etc. I can't bring up Vivelens and I have to bring the SteamVR dashboard for the transport animation to go away and Origin to show up.

Tracking observations

1. When the headset loses room tracking the 3D world remains static when you move around until it locks again to room features which is probably expected. The controllers also remain static and can't be moved even if they are in full view of the headset, only sensor tracking works and they rotate in place. It would be nice if the controllers could be tracked in relation with the headset even when room tracking is lost as you could use the Vivelens and SteamVR dashboards.

2. A good way to see problems with controller tracking is to set as "Camera View" the "Transparent Colored Outline" then turn camera on and have your hands with the controllers in full view in front you, I prefer an empty void for testing. If I keep my hands steady in place I can see a constant slight wombling of the controllers. And if I bring the controllers very near and start obstructing one controller's ring with the other I can see when its tracking is lost. Having the controllers in center view and obstructing half the halo of one controller with the other is enough for that first controller to lose its tracking and if I keep my hands in that position and turn around, the untracked controller will stay behind. If I slowly take them apart while tracking is lost I could have 1 or 2 tenths of the halo obstructed and it still wouldn't track. Another test is to momentarily occlude one controller with the other one while crossing them, the occluded controller stalls in place and jumps back to its intended track when is back in view. Or have one controller stationary and the other crossing and momentarily hiding it, the stationary controller will jump momentarily. Better said with videos but not a fan of video uploading.

• Like 2

@T

Sorry mate but I do not see any of these bugs.  Maybe because I do not seem to need to use SteamVR home or it's dashboard anymore.  I seem to be able to select all my Steam VR apps fine from Lense.  Maybe go your SteamVR settings/general tab and deselect the startup in SteamVR home box.  As far as the option to start in your origin home goes, I could care less.  I prefer the Homeless startup and just use lense to select everything.  I do go into Origin occasionally just to quickly quit an app and take a break.  Also, I've never needed to re-do any tutorials after any of these software updates.  I do seem to get prompted to update my Viveport software even though it still ends up at the same version.  I'm not sure why you have to go though your tutorials all over again unless maybe you've moved to a different room or something.  It may be worth creating some log files from your console menu and shoot them over to Vive support.

As far as your tracking observations go I'm not sure that the transparent camera view is the best way to see this.  Mainly because the passthrough camers auto-exposure can kick in a little depending on how even your room lighting is and I think that this may cause a little wobble.  Still, even then they seem pretty stable to me. I find it best to check out within Origin.  If you move then and keep them at least ~4-6 inches apart and no closer than ~6 inches to the front of your headset they seem to be pretty stable.  Now, even when I move one right up to the headset it sticks there for a second but quickly snaps back when I move it outward again.  Much better than previously when it would shoot out all over the place.  Don't get me wrong, there is still lots of room for improvements though imho.

Of course, like everything, if you look hard enough for a problem you will find one, lol!

@TomCgcmfc

I don't use SteamVR Home, I use whatever the default void is when neither Origin nor SteamVR Home is loaded. Like you, I do most things from lens but I bring the SteamVR dashboard to clear the stuck transfer animation to Origin and to use SteamVR dashboard extensions or SteamVR desktop view. As for the option to start Origin I believe we can both agree that having a menu option that can't be selected or used is a bug, either remove the menu option or make it usable. The camera problem won't be apparent if you are using the default normal view cause the problem is it resets to the default normal view. I am using only one room and it's recognized after an update so no need to redo room calibration, my problem is with Vivelens and Origin explaining to me each time the controls.

I redid all my tracking tests with the camera view off and the controllers had the same tracking and occlusion problems. I even did them by directly looking at the lamps and the other way, same tracking. Also no apparent change in exposure in the transparent camera view when I look to the lamp or away from it. Controller wombling isn't terrible and without the camera view as a point of reference or any other kind or reference it's hard to see. Another test is to touch both halos together like bumping fists and move around while having them in your centre view. While both halos are visible and both controllers are physically coupled together, if you move around you can see their models wombling around or partially meshing together.

Mind you these are observations, I didn't call them bugs. If the controller gets better tracking swell, if not my usage is mostly cockpit and I use the controllers for whatever menu controls are locked in VR and can't be accessed via keyboard/mouse/joystick. The current tracking is adequate to interact with a menu but it fails miserable whenever a controller or an arm partially occludes the other. Keeping them apart is not a solution in many VR games, you couldn't care less cause you are keeping your hands apart, I couldn't care less cause I don't play games that require a VR controller but I believe there are a lot of people that care and want to move the controllers one in front the other (eg. gun & bow games) or move wildly their hands around (eg. sword & melee games) without nonsensical constraints. Coming from the Vive lighthouse controllers, having as a requirement for the controllers to not be even partially occluded is a serious downgrade and not a good sale pitch, "Don't cross the streamscontrollersIt would be bad".

Hy guys,

I'm follow all the posts since the start, unfortunely i do not have time to check everything like you (it's my first VR Headset) and consequently i do not have a point of reference.

I just wanted GREAT THX for your job ...specially @ @TomCgcmfc  who is contribute to render Cosmos the best VR Headset.

And of course a BIG THX to all engineers behind this product.

PLEASE continue .........👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1