Lone echo screen very dark

chtan

1 hour ago, stvnxu said:

@Clark_HH, @Sjunin, @A-Jey, @TomCgcmfc,

Thank you all for sharing! Initially when this post was started, I've submitted a report to our engineering team to look into. The feedback was as part of what Tom had shared due to the nature of the OLED vs LCD screen when it came to displaying "dark/black." The fact is OLED will outperform LCD in displaying a true black. 

However, it is worth considering that there may be room for improvement in optimizing the black being display on LCD screens. I'll re-submit this report to our engineering to investigate with additional details.  Thanks Clark for those. 

Love the healthy discussion. Thanks and stay tuned!

Steve

@stvnxu

Steve, that is unacceptable.
If the black cannot be displayed as dark black for the reason of not being an oled then of course the other objects/colors have to be displayed lighter with more contrast so that you can see them.

I mean, it's possible on a normal non oled flatscreen, so I expect this on the cosmos display aswell.

• Thanks 1

Hi Steve,
hi all,

I totally agree with A-Jey.

OVR_FORMAT_R11G11B10_FLOAT mapped to DXGI_FORMAT_R10G10B10A2_UNORM.
Vive cosmos doesn’t interpret the corresponding DXGI Format as SRGB, which let the HMD display wrong colors and a wrong gamma value.
It is nothing about the lack of an oled contrast. Sure the contrast looks better in dark areas, but in the mentioned games the dark areas shouldn’t be even dark.

Look at the following pictures. Wrong gamma vs. right gamma in a mentioned game. It is not about contrast at all. 
Please get you interpretation of 10-bit UNORM textures as SRGB right. I won‘t buy any further tracking device, game and will cancel my viveport subscription until this is fixed.

Thank you in advance.

Kind regards
Clark

5F5EB0CC-62DE-4C4D-9210-470BEE5350D4.thumb.jpeg.04e4400e3cd780702feada0294944250.jpeg

D4B92633-D484-46ED-BF74-E5F2D71BD5DD.thumb.jpeg.4ca5b4fcb21f07eb0ffe44a8341076d0.jpeg

@C.T. @stvnxu

Thanks for your great reaction. This is kind of a passionate customer service. I would love to help to get a better product for all of us to get the best VIVE cosmos experience. Until you guys listen to your paying customers, we are going to support your hardware. Win-win situation. 

Thank you. 
Clark

Hi Tom, 

I am honest. I was not complaining unreasonable and trying to help by reporting bugs and trying to give advices with my limited knowledge. My intention was not to be unfair to the vive team by becoming impatient and complaining unpleasant.

I am sorry, if I sounded to pushy. In my defense I am from germany and trying my best to express myself by writing in my nonnative language. 😉

Thanks for the understanding.
Clark

• Like 2

Hi all, 

I was able to check the test build from C.T. today.

"Dark" Games played via Revive like Lone Echo and Stormland have the right colors and gamma now. The games don't look dark anymore. The picture has a great contrast like it is meant to be. I was able to compare the pictures before and after the test build. It is like night and day.

The problem is completly solved with this test build. Triple A Oculus Revive Games like Lone Echo are playable now with the Vive Cosmos. It feels like christmas.

@C.T. Thank you very much for you effort, your fast response and the solution. I hope you don't mind me for my pushy and demanding style. I just wanted to give some hints for a solution.

Edited by Clark_HH
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Clark_HH said:

Hi Tom, 

I am honest. I was not complaining unreasonable and trying to help by reporting bugs and trying to give advices with my limited knowledge. My intention was not to be unfair to the vive team by becoming impatient and complaining unpleasant.

I am sorry, if I sounded to pushy. In my defense I am from germany and trying my best to express myself by writing in my nonnative language. 😉

Thanks for the understanding.
Clark

Hey Clark, I totally feel you... as I'm german too.
Sometimes you just get understood slightly different than you meant it... that's what I experience often in chats.

• Like 1