Cosmos Beta Release - 1.0.8.3

C.T.

50 minutes ago, A-Jey said:

@stvnxu:
Trace No: 20191120155142

I used the headset on 2nd computer yesterday and on main computer all other days.

Main Computer: dark wooden door on the right side,
most tracking problems with right controller.

2nd Computer: light bulb on the right side,
most tracking problems with right controller.

So it could be a right controller problem in general
or a general problem with darker and lighter spots.

@stvnxu:

with this report I also renew my asking for several room setups to be saved in the headset.
Everytime I change the gaming room
I got to do the room setup again.
And now in wintertimes I will often start in living room on daylight and move to gaming room when it's dark.

So this is usually a pain in the A$$...

I think this could be managed by having like 3 slots in the headset and the slots are sticked to the computername for example.
And if a new computer name is recognized an empty slot will be taken for room setup.
For the case all 3 slots are taken by different computers and another one comes into play then it overwrites the slot with the longest time unused...

Edited by A-Jey
  • Like 2

@stvnxu:
Trace No: 20191120223403

I just provide you more log data.

I played some Beater Saber games on my 2nd computer.
This time it was very disappointing that i missed a lot easy notes due to tracking lagging.
It feels a bit like slower movements from everything out of sight does make a problem here.

This time i turned the light bulb on the right side off.

So I got light source very left and right behind me.
And that is better lighting than I got in my living room when I tested.

I don't like this beta version very much at all.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, A-Jey said:

@stvnxu:
Trace No: 20191120223403

I just provide you more log data.

I played some Beater Saber games on my 2nd computer.
This time it was very disappointing that i missed a lot easy notes due to tracking lagging.
It feels a bit like slower movements from everything out of sight does make a problem here.

This time i turned the light bulb on the right side off.

So I got light source very left and right behind me.
And that is better lighting than I got in my living room when I tested.

I don't like this beta version very much at all.

Ya, right now I'm not a big fan either, lol!

22 hours ago, A-Jey said:

But EXACTLY those 1-2 misses are the ones THAT matter, you will get the sense when you play the level not on easy 😉
The more you practice you come to play the hard modes and then get your first experiences on expert.
And when you realize you would have finished those modes 100% if not those two tracking losses would have come into the way...

So you nailed it the wrong way: i f they can't get those 1-2 tracking losses under control it's a testament for the failure.

Lol, I’m an engineer.  An 99% success rate is phenomenal in newer gear.  Remember that the next time you buy anything new! Home appliances, cars, ect. They always are prone to issues and assuming they will be purchased with zero defects will set you up for disappointment EVERY time. 

Okay. I thought about this for the past few days and here’s what I need to know to resolve the source of the tracking issue. 

How are the controllers tracked? Specifically. If its through camera tracking alone, this would explain the tracking loss at certain angles of movement.  But I want to know if the controllers have any other means of tracking?  

Another example of something effecting tracking is the location of the connection box.  *see attached image* I tried putting this in a mounted place on the side of my desk to prevent it from being yanked by accident and pulling the cables+tower along for the ride.  I immediately noticed something wrong with the tracking; severe loss of tracking and motion control.  
so I put the box back where it was and the tracking returned to what it was originally. 

since the wired connection did not change, there must be something wirelessly coming from this, or it’s unshielded and affected by close proximity to other transmission/power sources.  

Regardless, knowing EXACTLY how the controllers are tracked will allow me to analyze if the issue is from hardware or the units themselves. 

@C.T.

image.jpg

6 minutes ago, darkmattermonkey77 said:

Okay. I thought about this for the past few days and here’s what I need to know to resolve the source of the tracking issue. 

How are the controllers tracked? Specifically. If its through camera tracking alone, this would explain the tracking loss at certain angles of movement.  But I want to know if the controllers have any other means of tracking?  

Another example of something effecting tracking is the location of the connection box.  *see attached image* I tried putting this in a mounted place on the side of my desk to prevent it from being yanked by accident and pulling the cables+tower along for the ride.  I immediately noticed something wrong with the tracking; severe loss of tracking and motion control.  
so I put the box back where it was and the tracking returned to what it was originally. 

since the wired connection did not change, there must be something wirelessly coming from this, or it’s unshielded and affected by close proximity to other transmission/power sources.  

Regardless, knowing EXACTLY how the controllers are tracked will allow me to analyze if the issue is from hardware or the units themselves. 

image.jpg

***As I said in a reply to a-key,  I’m an engineer, mechanical discipline but I have years of electrical experience as well. If the tracking issue is something to do with environmental factors or personal hardware, they can beta patch this thing into the ground and it won’t address the underlying problem.   

Here’s a question/issue. 
The beginning of my 2nd night using the cosmos, it did something different. Keep in mind, I already had performed the room setup and initial settings, played games, ect.   This night when I started the headset up, I get the “white room” version of my surroundings as the are folded away and the virtual room I’m in expands into a giant environment.  The headset tracking was fine but the controllers refused to track at all? I got the the portion where the white room guide asks you to squeeze the right controller trigger and then nothing.  Since I did not have any virtual controllers in the environment, there was zero response to anything I did to them to progress further in the training scenario (Before anyone asks, yes, the controllers were both lit/on and I did power cycle them as I was wondering if the batteries I had changed out just prior to starting the cosmos up had something to do with it?) I could press the vive button on either controller and bring up the bubble menu and play with those settings (virtual controllers appeared for the menu), as soon as I pressed the vive button and closed the bubble menu, the virtual controllers vanished and I was stuck listening to the guide endlessly asking me to “squeeze the trigger”.  I shut the VR program down and re-started it.  Now it seems silly but that whole “white room” folding away experience was actually VERY cool! Watching my imaged virtual desk and walls fold and drop through the floor as the my living room transformed around me was awesome!!  Sadly, after the re-boot of the program, I’ve been unable to find and restart that start-up program?   

So to need this, it’s an appreciation slash issue slash along with a question.  

Any idea on when to expect the next tracking update? My final return window ends on November 27th and I am getting a bit nervous. Although I did have fun during my last round of testing with the Cosmos, my Samsung Odyssey+ still delivers a better experience for hundreds less. The Cosmos could top the Odyssey+ if the Cosmos tracking was acceptable within its much larger tracking volume, but I'm only happy waiting for that update when I know I can get my money back if it doesn't show. I really appreciate all the work you've put into this, and I hope it continues...

@stvnxu

4 hours ago, darkmattermonkey77 said:

Lol, I’m an engineer.  An 99% success rate is phenomenal in newer gear.  Remember that the next time you buy anything new! Home appliances, cars, ect. They always are prone to issues and assuming they will be purchased with zero defects will set you up for disappointment EVERY time. 

I would guess that most of the people here come from the engineering field...;) - and while what you say is true to a certain point when i compare the comos state of release with other headsets at the point of their release it becomes obvious that there is a difference in what we seem to consider "prone to issues"...

i just gave it another shot with the new firmware - beat sabre, pistol whip, audioshield, ...whatever you want - while beeing a lot better since when it came out it is a hell of frustration if you have ever played on a different headset...i moved 3 new lights to my playroom to get the "too dark" thing gone, but the tracking is not even close to my odyssey+ (which i have a lot to complain about - no question)...but the tracking worked from the beginning - same goes for the oculus quest...again - we seem to have a different opinion on "works fine" it seems - or you dont have experience with other devices...i dont know...

I for myself decided to keep my cosmos for seated gaming and development - for me its the most comfortable device i have tried so far and also the visual quality is completely on point for my personal standards...but the tracking and the controllers are still in the category 'useless' from my point of view and experience...I still have hope for the next updates but realisticly i think if they didnt get it to work till now it seems to require a hardware update...so speaking for myself - currently i think this was my first and last HTC device - its ok for flight simulations (or stuff like elite, eve, ...) or development but a bit too expensive for that...

And from a customer point of view i myself would appreciate if (but this goes for any VR brand on the market) HTC would focus more on the hardware development and not on having another seperate store on the market...i myself feel like the most (or too much) effort during development was put into having other place to sell software on than on putting together a working device. I myself dont care about any store where my money is wasted the moment i get another device - but maybe others do...i dont see the customer benefit in that....while i would see it in a working tracking on the cosmos....;)