Vive Pro wireless gray screens

SimonBritto

So I've pretty much tried everything short of upgrading hardware (except for adding a little fan to the wireless attachment).

What I want to know is if you're using specifically a Vive Pro and you aren't getting gray screens and disconnects at all. If so, what is your computer hardware?

Currently using an 8700k oc'd to 5, ASUS PRIME Z370-A LGA1151 Mobo, and a 2080ti.

Thinking about just upgrading hardware to avoid this. What are you guys using?

First of all you probably would be best to post technical type questions in the vive pro technical sub forum, not general.

I have a similar setup (i9 9900K, gtx1080ti, 32Gb 3000 ram) and I have not seen this problem.  If you are overclocking your cpu and gpu you may want to try them back to stock.  I've found overclocking does not doo all that much for me and can cause system instability.  Also, make sure your drivers are up to date and you disable any usb power savings.

Otherwise, contact Vive Support and ask them for some help.  Good luck.

@SimonBritto - Reflections are the top cause for grey screens which usually indicate a tracking issue so you'll first you'll want to rule them out. To do so, generate a system report via SteamVR -> Generate System Report. Save it as a .txt, then open the document in notepad (or SteamVR's system report viewer) and search for the following term "back-facing". Here's what a reflection problem looks like in a system report:

• Sun Jun 26 2016 23:02.:09.676 - lighthouse: LHR-4E8EF209 H: Dropped 32312 back-facing hits, 2069 non-clustered hits during the previous tracking session

You'll also be able to scan through and look for other tracking error messages - if something's wrong, you'll usually see the message repeated a bunch indicating it's a problem.

If that doesn't shed light on anything, you'll want to look at where your antenna is pointed. It should be at least 3 feet off of the ground and pointed toward your playspace. It has a 150x150 degree FOV and a range of ~6m.

You'll also want to check to see if the basestations are going into standby. Sometimes the stations will go into power management mode and shut off leading to a grey screen. If you plug in the linkbox's power and connect it via USB to the PC (without the HMDI/DP) you'll enable SteamVR to communicate with your basestations via bluetooth in wireless mode for station management.

You can try going into the task manager and seeing if your CPU/GPU constrained when the grey screens occur - you'll be able to tell by the utilization being over 96%.

@TomCgcmfc - is right about overclocking and voltage control, it is known to increase instability with VR hardware, specifically the wireless PCI-E card.

• Like 1