C.T.

Windows 10, latest update.
NVIDIA Driver, latest update
Steam VR beta, latest update
Cosmos beta 1.0.8.5
Played on my second PC in cellar
same lightning as in the last tests.

Here are my findings:

I played a long session of Beat Saber again.

The tracking itself seems more precise.
Reason: I played like 15 levels (normal/hard/expert mixed)
and on EVERY level I got a new personal best on first try
(and I played those level several times before).
You get more points the more exact you cut the blocks through the middle
and so I guess it's now more precise to follow my hand directions.

BUT: I still get those missed notes due to tracking, maybe a bit less but they are there.
Controllers sometimes are hopping a bit more than before also.
Those easy missing notes are frustrating as it happened several times
on very easy ones where I did a quite slow, non hectical swing.

I guess I got to make a video to show the problem.

Also the tracking for rifle mode is better (I only tested on Steam Home with controllers only),
but still way too chunky, wiggling and jumping (less then before but still too much).

With this beta you're heading definetily much more into the right direction compared to the last beta.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, A-Jey said:

Windows 10, latest update.
NVIDIA Driver, latest update
Steam VR beta, latest update
Cosmos beta 1.0.8.5
Played on my second PC in cellar
same lightning as in the last tests.

Here are my findings:

I played a long session of Beat Saber again.

The tracking itself seems more precise.
Reason: I played like 15 levels (normal/hard/expert mixed)
and on EVERY level I got a new personal best on first try
(and I played those level several times before).
You get more points the more exact you cut the blocks through the middle
and so I guess it's now more precise to follow my hand directions.

BUT: I still get those missed notes due to tracking, maybe a bit less but they are there.
Controllers sometimes are hopping a bit more than before also.
Those easy missing notes are frustrating as it happened several times
on very easy ones where I did a quite slow, non hectical swing.

I guess I got to make a video to show the problem.

Also the tracking for rifle mode is better (I only tested on Steam Home with controllers only),
but still way too chunky, wiggling and jumping (less then before but still too much).

With this beta you're heading definetily much more into the right direction compared to the last beta.

I have also done an extended session on Beat Saber with bulb light at night time and completely agree with A-Jey . It was actually pretty good, but I kept missing the odd easy note. Controls seemed more responsive though. However I also did a Box VR and kept missing balls that I actually hit when doing right upper cuts from the waist and even straight ones on the right. Left upper cuts seemed to register ok.

As per my previous comment, tracking near the headset still not good. It's easy to see, just put them right in front of the headset and watch them not track! It really does limit what this headset can play in terms of games and other stuff which relies on this.

Some improvements thanks.

SteamVR console activates with the left Vive button but refuses to go away when you click it again leaving you stuck on the Steam console.

Also out of the HMD if it is still active I can't open the steam application window unless I close the Vive console.

Still lose tracking or it jitters around unless I turn up the light in the room to full.

I hope this feedback helps you to improve the product.

Thanks Fink.

6 minutes ago, Fink said:

I forgot to add 

The pass through is semi transparent again so I used the Cosmos HMD in Origin Easter egg to reset it to opaque. Seems to happen after each update.

Thanks Fink

Same here.
You mean the settings in Lens menu 😉

Tried out this beta update.

Slightly better, but still pretty bad. These are the problems, in order of importance:

1) Controller and headset wobble. This can be easily reproduced by holding your hands out and making small movements with them. Rotating them slowly, or moving them back or forth, causes them to overshoot and/or wobble in place. They never feel solid. This makes shooting games hard to aim and the headset wobble contributes to motion sickness. This was a key factor in the scathing IGN review.

2) Controller occlusion. The controllers do really weird and unexpected things when occluded. For example, controller A was infront while B was occluded. I would move B side to side, and when I moved B to the right, the virtual hand would go left until the cameras picked it up again. Very often, the controller in the back would move up or down right when entering and exiting occlusion.

One thing I noticed, which I don't think has been reported yet -- when I set my room floor level, it looks fine when I'm close to the floor. After setting it and standing back up, the floor doesn't "stay down". The floor moves up a few inches. If I crouch back down, the floor goes back to where it should be.

What I think needs to be done, is a frank explanation of what the challenges are and what we should be expecting out of future updates. Are the engineers hopeful of a tracking breakthrough? Is this about as good as its going to get? Somewhere in between?

22 hours ago, C.T. said:

VIVE Cosmos 1.0.8.5 – Beta Release Notes
Released November 26th 2019 

[System]

• Improved system stability for use over longer durations.

[Tracking]

• Controller
    • Optimized tracking trajectory for boxing style movements and archery games.
    • Support simultaneous movement of occluded and non-occluded controller within the headset's field of view.

[Vive Runtime]

• Added fallback controller type, support added from SteamVR Beta 1.9.4 onwards.

[Vive Console]

• Solved a bug where the HMD firmware update might be interrupted during a software update.
  • Synced camera pass-through settings with Lens.

[OOBE & Room Setup]

• The how to wear the headset video now lets the user know they don't need to take off their glasses.
  • Room setup can be triggered when in an untracked state by a long trigger press for 2 seconds (previously 3 seconds).
  • Improved the OOBE flow when requesting a GPU driver update.

Tried this out for a hour or so and it was sort of okay until I ran the room setup then the tracking is all over the place. It's like the very first release of the firmware as if someone maybe mixed up their configs and released the wrong version. It makes nearly everything i tried unplayable and I haven't had many issues for previous releases probably because until now I haven't re-run the room setup. Also I have a very well lit room.

This Statement is not factual from my experience:

[Tracking]

• Controller
    • Optimized tracking trajectory for boxing style movements and archery games.
    • Support simultaneous movement of occluded and non-occluded controller within the headset's field of view.

Going back to the none beta version to see if that will at least make the Unit usable. 

I hope this feed back helps

@stvnxu:

I recorded some videos to identify all the
culprits.
Give me some time to cope this all into one single short video.

I'll provide you then with all tracking issues in a nutshell.
I guess I get it ready on Friday or Saturday.

Then you got your homework to sort all those things out.
Hopefully you blast me with the result in the next update.

• Like 2

Within 10 minutes playing my controllers went everywhere and all over and i took them each time 2 minutes to get back in to form.

Something must be off with how the camera's cooperate , if i look striaghtforward everyting is oke, if you look up or down

( not way up or way down just slightly towards the ceiling) to fast the tracking is already off.

I do not know how many people you have working on this, but this bad a experience i never had even in the beginning with the Oculus Quest or Rift S. This is no longer acceptable for a unit that costs  800 Euro. Where can i get my  Black Friday #HTCSAYSSORRYDISCOUNT