Cosmos Beta release - 1.0.8.5

C.T.

I spent some time today trying this update both in low daylight (reasonably dim as was raining all day) plus with bulb light with the blinds down ,and I have to say it was pretty good.

I tried both Beat Saber and Fallout VR (Fallout VR with controller fix which works very well with Cosmos controllers) and I didn't find many issues. The only tracking issues was when the controller was down at waist level and out to the sides (both intermittent) and always when close to the headset. They then stopped tracking for a period of time until picked up again. Kneeling down to the floor was flawless in tracking which has been a big issue previously.

The biggest issue still for me is when the controllers are next to the headset, it just can't see them. This beta has done virtually nothing for that. From my experience today, if that was fixed then we would be nearly there with tracking for an inside out headset. But it is a big issue, so please put this at the top of your list HTC.

From other people's comments that this beta is worse, I haven't seen that, but I can understand it as this headset needs to have so many environmental conditions in place. Just stating my experience today.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dickytwo said:

I spent some time today trying this update both in low daylight (reasonably dim as was raining all day) plus with bulb light with the blinds down ,and I have to say it was pretty good.

I tried both Beat Saber and Fallout VR (Fallout VR with controller fix which works very well with Cosmos controllers) and I didn't find many issues. The only tracking issues was when the controller was down at waist level and out to the sides (both intermittent) and always when close to the headset. They then stopped tracking for a period of time until picked up again. Kneeling down to the floor was flawless in tracking which has been a big issue previously.

The biggest issue still for me is when the controllers are next to the headset, it just can't see them. This beta has done virtually nothing for that. From my experience today, if that was fixed then we would be nearly there with tracking for an inside out headset. But it is a big issue, so please put this at the top of your list HTC.

From other people's comments that this beta is worse, I haven't seen that, but I can understand it as this headset needs to have so many environmental conditions in place. Just stating my experience today.

Try running the room setup and see what happens. I think that is when things go bananas with the tracking it was okay until I did that.

Just ran room setup again (this time I set boundaries whereas before I didn't), still no real issues apart from what I mentioned previously. It's the best I have had the tracking so far to be honest. But the headset is still a fail for me if controller tracking when adjacent to the headset is non existent.

• Like 1

Try looking up with the headset while holding your controllers to your side or a little higher, everthing goes everywhere. It is not just a fluke its always with 4 different sports games. ( i think i has to do with fast movenmoment), because in google vr everything is oke. 

I tried the same thing with quest and rift s ( the same sports programs) and everything just worked fine. I keep thinking that the six camera's in the Cosmos do not work good together, or that the program that  uses the camera's for tracking is buggy and inconsistent al possible

I hear that amazon had a lot off htc vive Comos headsets returned, i do not hope that HTC will abandon the product and leaves us with a half finished device.

@stvnxu @C.T.

Ok, as promised I spent some hours on recording stuff and putting it together and hopefully HTC uses this to get things done.

@Dickytwo
I guess you find yourself pretty much often in the same Beat Saber situations you'll see in this video.

All tracking issues in a nutshell:

But as I already told earlier: the tracking itself is more precise WHEN you
• NOT turn your wrists inside or outside
• Don't do movements which turn the controllers out of sight.

Here's a proof for that
(you can see that I don't do full swings to reach this level error free, also I avoided to turn the wrists in- or outside):

• Thanks 1

@A-Jey Great videos, I haven't done as much in depth testing as that but I can see what you mean. Lighting doesn't look too bad and you have shelves etc. The one that plays up for me every time is Gangnam Style in Expert mode. You have to reverse the sabers for downward swipes and quickly jump left to right and vice versa to do the same. The Cosmos just cant cope and sabers stay where they were for a bit. Fail follows quickly....

If they could sort that stuff out plus decent tracking when the controllers are next to the headset, I would consider the critical stuff sorted. But given the time HTC has had, I'm not sure this will happen now. Which means that either you spend more to get base stations / faceplate or you realise you may have wasted £700 or equivalent on a dud. Either way, sad times.....

Plus, with more impatience now apparent by the Cosmos posters on here, I am not seeing as many responses by HTC as before. Silence speaks volumes....

• Sad 1

One of the reasons for me to buy the Cosmos is the Inside-out tracking so they can't argue that I should get the faceplate/sensor mod.
I ask for a fully functional inside-out experience, nothing more and nothing less...

@Dickytwo you playing on Steam account? Would like to have some Vice Cosmos competitors on my friends list.

https://steamcommunity.com/id/a__jey/

Edited by A-Jey
  • Like 3

Where is the REST VIEW/RE-CENTER VIEW within the UI?  Guess the message was passed along and the engineering "team" will get to it when they get to it.  

One picture shows a desk lamp that works perfectly fine with Oculus RIFT S, QUEST, etc.  Laying in bed and watching movies is a real life action people with VR units do take advantage of in low light (with inside out tracking).  Never does Oculus products tell you the lighting conditions are too poor to play with...at all.

Other picture shows MAX lighting in room and the VIVE COSMOS will still from time to time say something regarding lightning, not enough features, or dont block cameras when putting on the HMD.  Which is all a bunch of bull shit.  (Please excuse the room; Contractor oversees.)

Long story short:

Oculus Rift S - NO issues on lighting, tracking, or to reset view within the UI.  On a $400 device

Vive Cosmos - Terrible issues with lightning, very poor tracking mentioned sooooo many times and will continue to be mentioned, and NO reset view at all within the UI on this $700 device.

VIVE Cosmos Community Forum is dead.  Nothing like Oculus or Valve's forums on consumer devices.  Days go by with no action.  Maybe the HTC team does see they dont have to play ball, because their following is dying off dramatically.

20191202_005411.jpg

20191202_005448.jpg

Edited by Subzer0
  • Like 1