Want better controller tracking? Try changing this option!

Phr00t

There is an option that is disabled by default, which in my short testing, changing may have made tracking better. Curious on what other people think.

Open this file with Vive Console and VivePort CLOSED and SteamVR NOT RUNNING:

<viveport install directory>\VIVE\Updater\App\ViveVRRuntime\ViveVR\ViveVRServer\config\default.vrsettings

Find the "externalPredictPose" section.

Change "diablePredictControllerPose" from true to false, so it looks like this:

"externalPredictPose" : {
        "enable" : true,
        "disableHMDVel" : true,
        "disableControllerVel" : false,
        "diablePredictHMDPose" : false,
        "diablePredictControllerPose" : false
   },

I find it odd HMD pose prediction is enabled for the headset, but not for the controllers by default. I'm not sure if it was just a placebo effect, but setting the section to the above seemed to make for a better tracking experience. Try it out!

NOTE: diable is how it is, it is an HTC typo, not mine!

Edited by Phr00t
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Phr00t said:

There is an option that is disabled by default, which in my short testing, changing may have made tracking better. Curious on what other people think.

<viveport install directory>\VIVE\Updater\App\ViveVRRuntime\ViveVR\ViveVRServer\config\default.vrsettings

},

I find it odd HMD pose prediction is enabled for the headset, but not for the controllers by default. I'm not sure if it was just a placebo effect, but setting the section to the above seemed to make for a better tracking experience. Try it out!

I rolled back to the stable version after that last beta update made my controllers unusable. I played some fallout 4 and the scopes were all over the place  and aiming was impossible. I made the change you recommended and now I can actually aim properly. It's still a little unsteady when really close to the  HDM but much better so either it works or there is some other variable that changes from day to day. So for me until proven otherwise this is a keeper. Thanks they should pay you for troubleshooting 😉

Fink

@stvnxu @C.T.

• Like 1

On 11/28/2019 at 12:20 PM, Phr00t said:

},

Nice sleuthing mate..  I wonder what would happen if you made both Predict's true?  I don't currently have my Cosmos connected or I would try this out myself.  Thanks and cheers.