Viveport, Vive Console, Steam & SteamVR - ALL OR NOTHING!

Zepps

17 hours ago, Zepps said:

It surprised the hell out of me that they even considered not integrating outside in tracking into the headset from the very beginning.  

🙂

And so different are the expectations...
I am just happy to get a headset with an inside out tracking only as I don't need/can't place the sensor thing.
Same with manual IPD.

This headset is the only one which qualifies for my needs.

Edited by A-Jey

"As for Vive Console, I thought it have to work with SteamVR together......or is there any way to close Vive console?"

Vive Console and SteamVR are linked in someway. I've not seen anyway to close or uninstall Vive Console.

21 hours ago, Zepps said:

"As for Vive Console, I thought it have to work with SteamVR together......or is there any way to close Vive console?"

Vive Console and SteamVR are linked in someway. I've not seen anyway to close or uninstall Vive Console.

@Zepps It shows up bundled with all Vive software installed on the PC as an entry called "Vive software" within Window's remove programs UI. You uninstall that to uninstall the console.

I think you need to have the Vive Console running, but as someone else pointed out you can just not use Vive Origin as your home if you don't like it.  You shouldn't write off Viveport, it has a lot of games that are well worth playing that you can play for free with Infinity Subscription.... like Creed, Arizona Sunshine, etc.  Also has games I wanted to try but didn't really want to shell out money to try like Five Nights at Freddy's, Doctor Who, Curious Tale of Stolen Pets, etc.   Viveport doesn't have much in the way of multiplayer FPS games; its missing onward, pavlov, etc.  That would be my one complaint of Viveport Infinity.  I ultimately returned the Cosmos because of tracking.... but use Viveport with my two Vive Pro headsets.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I wasted no time returning my Vive Cosmos for a full refund. The store confirmed my suspicions that many other cosmos headsets were being returned for the exact same reason. TRACKING!    I might have held off if tracking was the only issue but I couldn't see past the software changes force upon me.  Software didnt play nicely with Unity 3d as well.   

I hope one day the Cosmos becomes the headset it should be, a true successor of the Vive and Vive Pro.  I know there are people out there that will contradict my point of view to justify their purchase but to put it simply, the facts outweigh the opinions. I just wish I read this forum before impulse buying the Cosmos in the first place. 

A real shame. 

• Sad 1

I doubt you can judge over others that there's a need to justify their purchase.
It could also be the case people are compensating their wrong expectations from a new developed product.

If people can't deal with starting problems why then buying a product before a release or just after a release with only bad reviews?
I did with fully being aware of that and I'm sure my patience will pay off.

No need to share my point of view... just sayin'

Hope you find a vr headset which satisfies you 🙂

Edited by A-Jey
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/18/2019 at 10:32 PM, TomCgcmfc said:

Ya, free SteamVR faceplates for everyone would be nice. 

Considering the Cosmos' controller tracking is totally defective, this should be a free upgrade. Otherwise HTC are basically saiying "Hey, remember how we lied to you and ripped you off lol? Well pay us hundreds of dollars to fix that for you! 😄❤️
Like, shit, at that point there's 0 reason to not just get the Valve Index which, unlike the Cosmos, isn't broken out f the box. 

• 1 year later...

I know that this is an old ass thread, but I desperately want the option to remove Viveport from my dashboard. Origin doesn't even save the background of your home between restarts, so it's worthless to me as a home space. Also, all of my games now and in the future will be in SteamVR. I don't want to have to be at the mercy of a cable just to use a headset the way I want to.

• 7 months later...

The way to do it:

Use the business/organisation installer to get just the Vive Cosmos/Vive Cosmos Elite driver without Viveport.

I used the offline installer here:

https://business.vive.com/dm/downloads/offlineInstaller

You may need to make a business account to get the files but it is entirely free and the only way I can seem to do it.

Result is no Viveport, just the SteamVR Driver and Vive Console app.

All games continue to run fine.