Does the wireless adapter work with Vive Pro Eye?

AirMouse

I am looking at the wireless adapter for the Vive pro and was wondering if it will also support the eye tracking of the Vive pro eye?

I was told that eye tracking is simple USB device, but I do not know if the wireless adapter will work with it.

Can someone please help me figure out if the two are compatible (can we use the wireless adapter for VR and eye tracking)?

Edited by AirMouse

@AirMouse - No, the system is pretty well tuned and depending on what you're doing is a huge UX boost. A weird unintended side effect I've personally experinced and have seen co-workers experience is that one you go wireless, going back to wired can be very difficult as you move much more naturally in VR when using wireless and if you try moving the same way with a wire, you get wrapped up or step on the tether.

I'm going to take the opportunity to gently advise you that the Pro Eye HMD is for enterprise and development only. If you're an end-user, there is only a handful of store applications which have integrated the SDK into their public build (most notably L.A. Noire). At this time, there is very limited value to the Pro Eye for consumer users - it's intended as a development and research platform.

• Like 1

Hey thanks! I create motion capture with VR, I too notice that when using headtrackers instead of the HMD I feel more free, so I can completely appreciate how wireless makes things more natural.

I understand there is not much available (yet), but I am creating my own software and have integrated the SDK into it. I utilize the Eye tracking feature for film production:

Edited by AirMouse

I use a I9-9900K, but I like to keep CPU loads down, how much CPU does it consume? Is it noticeable overhead?

I have one more question and I can't seem to find an answer but how is the battery life on the Vive pro eye vs. the Vive pro?

I'd imagine that driving arrays of IR LEDs and the extra gaze tracking camera must consume some additional battery.

Are the batteries replaceable? Where can I get a larger battery?? Or where can I purchase extra batteries and chargers??

Thanks for your help!!

Edited by AirMouse

@AirMouse We tend not to release any sort of first party performance benchmarks as the VR community tends to operate on an outrage by default model - we'll leave benchmarks to independent sources. Vive wireless is CPU heavy and you will see a spike in CPU resources being used. With an 9800k you won't be bottlenecked. On some setups, it helps to go into BIOS and disable Intel Speedstep. On other MBs, it can be helpful to also disable hyperthreading if CPU resources become an issue. These can both reduce your CPU load but it's very system specific.

I'll ask about the battery perf difference for Pro Eye - I'm not sure if I'll get a sharable response back from R&D. The lion's share of the power consumption goes to the display so any additional consumption by the IR system will still be a fraction of what the Displays and wireless eats up.