Vive tracker (2018) tracking through usb

Nipah

Hello !

I've wanted to know if it was possible for a tracker to work properly without it's dongle, if connected directly with the micro usb / usb cable.

It was actually hard to find some related posts, the one I've found were fairly old but people said it was not possible ( they said that a firmware update that might make it work was on the roadmap though).

So, since I didn't find any proper answer while searching, I wanted to know if it was now doable, and if a "mix" was doable as well, having two wireless trackers with two dongles and one last tracker connected via usb ( no dongle) for exemple.

Thank you

@Nipah - Yes, you can use a microUSB data cable in-lieu of a dongle for both the original tracker and tracker (2018). It just sends tracking data back over USB. I use this as my standard setup for mixed reality filming. The key is that it needs to be a data cable, not just a charge cable.

I'm sure you can mix and match - you'd probably want to pair the ones you're using wirelessy first and then plug in the wired ones afterwards. I've done this using the original trackers; I haven't tried it with 2018 but I'm sure it will work the same way. 

Happy to hear that ! And thanks for your reply.

The micro usb cables that are sold with the puck and the dongle will be able to send data ? If not, can you send me a link or a reference for a cable that would work, maybe the one that you use, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks again ☺️

That's great ! I have some usb extension cables that might work...

But anyways, you already gave me the answers I needed and I'm grateful for that. Thanks a lot for your quick replies VibrantNebula, have a great new year's eve as well !