Game glitch or something more serious?

joellipenta

@TomCgcmfc

I had an Intel i7 6700k with AMD rx580 GPU and upgraded to AMD R5 3600 with nvidia 2060 super GPU so quite a big change hardware/make wise and the void issue described was present on both systems and in the same games.

Never had it in Superhot or Thrill of the Fight for example.

I will do some more testing over the weekend to see if the issue returns.

@C.T.

I tested boneworks again and had a similar crash but to a black screen. I don't think its CPU/GPU related but possibly something to do with wireless and the way some games are coded.

Is there anyone with the wireless that hasn't had any issues with Boneworks or B& S?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sago36 said:

I tested boneworks again and had a similar crash but to a black screen. I don't think its CPU/GPU related but possibly something to do with wireless and the way some games are coded.

Is there anyone with the wireless that hasn't had any issues with Boneworks or B& S?

Sorry but I do not have either of these games but I have played a lot of other fairly graphics intensive games/sims with wireless.  The only time I have seen crashes is if I had my graphics setting (including SteamVR super sampling) set too high.  Since wireless is a bit of a cpu resource hog you generally need to lower its settings compared to wired imho.

• Like 1

Tonight I removed the wireless module from the Cosmos and installed it to my original Vive again: Played Boneworks for 4 hours, completing the "Streets" level. Game ran stable, no crashes. Steam VR two times lost connection to the HMD, but after restarting the HMD I was able to continue playing (the game itself had not been influenced by this issuses).

So, for me it's clear: The Cosmos is the Problem.

I found this post on Steam in the Boneworks forum:

Being flung into the void is a typical result of your controllers reporting NaN as their position - I get the same by launching the game with my controllers off, and then turning them on.
In short, it's the physical hands suddenly interacting with the environment in ways that it shouldn't due to poor tracking.

• Like 1

On 1/18/2020 at 6:29 AM, ACME said:

Tonight I removed the wireless module from the Cosmos and installed it to my original Vive again: Played Boneworks for 4 hours, completing the "Streets" level. Game ran stable, no crashes. Steam VR two times lost connection to the HMD, but after restarting the HMD I was able to continue playing (the game itself had not been influenced by this issuses).

So, for me it's clear: The Cosmos is the Problem.

I found this post on Steam in the Boneworks forum:

Being flung into the void is a typical result of your controllers reporting NaN as their position - I get the same by launching the game with my controllers off, and then turning them on.
In short, it's the physical hands suddenly interacting with the environment in ways that it shouldn't due to poor tracking.

*Update* I played for about an hour straight in Boneworks yesterday and it was great! I fought some baddies, explored, and had a blast...until it "glitched" again. This time, I didn't hit a save point. So, another hour in that game wasted. I want to play this (and several other games I mentioned) but I'm so apprehensive because of the random crashes. I may try going back to wired before my next play session but I really don't want to. The whole point of me getting the Cosmos was for the wireless freedom.

27 minutes ago, TomCgcmfc said:

@joellipenta Go back to wired for much better performance and stability imho.  Buying any Vive headset just because there is a Wireless Option is not in itself a good reason right now imho.  It's nice tech but not quite there yet.

Normally I'd agree and stick with what works but I paid a premium price for a product and I'd like it to work. I know that's not always the case and sometimes things fizzle out, but my PC meets the specs, I purchased everything, and it should work. I get the limitations of the tech and it does work fairly well. I guess I'm just hoping there's something I can do to help alleviate this issue. 

On 1/15/2020 at 2:34 PM, stvnxu said:

Thanks for the video @joellipenta! I'll share this with the team to look into. 

@ACME are you using a Cosmos with the wireless adapter? Or is your Cosmos tethered and you still experience the similar symptoms reported in this thread?

Thanks,
Steve

@stvnxu I switched back to wired and did some testing in Boneworks today and had no glitches whatsoever. I played for almost two hours straight with no issues. So, it has to be the wireless adapter that's causing this. My PC more than meets the specs so I'm not really sure what else is causing the issue. Maybe excessive heat from the adapter? The CPU seems to be cool enough so I'm not sure what else could be the issue.

@Synthesizer

Hey @joellipenta,

Thanks for sharing and apologies on the issue. I've submitted an earlier report when you started this thread. I'll update that with the latest information you just provided. Our engineers will investigate. 

Are you using the battery that is provided with the wireless adapter? Or a 3rd party? 

Steve

Something I haven't seen mentioned here, Check the temps of your Wireless. 

C:\ProgramData\Vive Wireless\ConnectionUtility\Log

Open up your log and look for M_Temperature, 

Post an exert of when it starts, and then 30minutes later. 

It'll probably be hitting about 90c and Overheating. 
Causes controller tracking to lag, sometimes grey screen flashes & other times you straight up fall through the world depending on the game. 

Cheers

Edited by HoZy
  • Like 1