Cosmos Beta release - 1.0.10.4

C.T.

On 1/27/2020 at 11:37 PM, stvnxu said:

Re-echoing this! 

It'll also help speed up the process if you write "rd_log_request" in the description to help funnel the data directly to that team to leverage in improving the tracking.

@stvnxu @C.T. @VibrantNebula

It would be very helpful if you add this info to the first post of every new beta and public version thread 😉

I finally decided to try out this beta myself.

The tracking was absolutely terrible. My hands were flying all over the place as I rotated my wrists, wobbling and only near where my hands were about 70% of the time. If Lighthouse provides 99% tracking accuracy, Rift S and WMR around 95% (within volume), Cosmos is 70% at best in this version. I'd say 1.0.9.6 was around 80% to 85%.

I did clear tracking data and redid room setup, as I do with every update.

This is the first time an update objectively is worse, which makes me wonder... is this just a little bug in this beta, or are we running out of ideas? I sure hope the former.

Edited by Phr00t

On 1/31/2020 at 9:44 AM, A-Jey said:

Let's say:
the Cosmos is a good headset, but not usable for rifle and bow&arrow mode at the moment.

Everything else is a shot into the blue (including the Nokia comparison).

It's not a good headset, it's a terrible headset. It fails to perform the primary function it was designed to do, it's not usable for anything. It will track you properly for 10 min then decide to have a seizure.

Room is too bright: "Oooops sorry we can't track you."

Room is too dark: "Oooops sorry we can't track you."

Room is just right: "Ooops sorry we can't track you."

Also there is so much lag compared to other headsets when it comes to tracking.

Cosmos is the bottom of the barrel when it comes to VR HMDs, the Quest is better than this, because at least with the quest you can play games and it tracks you properly.

I think HTC shot themselves in the foot when they put those sub par cameras in the device for tracking. This is why you see ebay full of these HMDs.

Mine is collecting dust right now because it is utterly useless for VR game play.

I can guarantee you that it will be in the trash come summer because there is nothing outside of using base station tracking that will fix the horrid design HTC decided upon when going with optical tracking. 

And if I'm going to use base station tracking, I will be buying an Index, waiting on that to come back into stock. 

Edited by Glaucoma Predator
  • Like 1

I used the newest beta firmware at first and it was terrible for aiming knives or axes at characters in saints and sinners. I then reverted to standard non beta firmware 1.9.0.6 and everything seems to be working really well. I'm having overall a good experience. I had heard that the sabres in Beat Sabre game didn't work properly but when I bought the game a day or so back it worked perfectly. No problems. I cannot say if two handed rifle shooting works as yet due to not having a suitable game to play at present. I've only had the cosmos for 4 days. For me it works really well.

11 hours ago, Shipmate said:

I used the newest beta firmware at first and it was terrible for aiming knives or axes at characters in saints and sinners. I then reverted to standard non beta firmware 1.9.0.6 and everything seems to be working really well. I'm having overall a good experience. I had heard that the sabres in Beat Sabre game didn't work properly but when I bought the game a day or so back it worked perfectly. No problems. I cannot say if two handed rifle shooting works as yet due to not having a suitable game to play at present. I've only had the cosmos for 4 days. For me it works really well.

I can tell you that bow and arrow games do not work at all, boxing games do not work at all either. 

I'm not sure why there are such mixed results with the tracking, however maybe it's my exposure to base station VR tracking and expectations in what tracking should actually be. 

Having said this I notice a lot of lag in tracking with this HMD, and a lot of drift, so much so that the games become unplayable. 

6 hours ago, Glaucoma Predator said:

I can tell you that bow and arrow games do not work at all, boxing games do not work at all either. 

I'm not sure why there are such mixed results with the tracking, however maybe it's my exposure to base station VR tracking and expectations in what tracking should actually be. 

Having said this I notice a lot of lag in tracking with this HMD, and a lot of drift, so much so that the games become unplayable. 

This Forum is for beta version 1.0.10.4. and its clear by your posts in the past week and a bit that you are just here to have a whinge, and not a whinge with anything useful to say or point out, just a whinge for the pure sake of having one. If you want to please go to reddit/4chan or whatever sort of chat and do it there, not to mention the subtle insults to other users.

Lol. I don't check up for awhile and this post is like an overpowered bag of salt and vinegar chips.

For the time being this is my evaluation of the current beta.

For beat saber its good but with hints of tracking loss but not tonnes.

Gun/rifle games. I can play contractors and Pavlov just fine with slight jitters when aiming.

Boxing games are pretty shit, I'm doing some sweet jabs and punches Irl and in the game I've barely moved .

Overall games are playable but still miles off what it should be, I don't mind for the time being but it's pretty sad that I can compare it to a wmr headset and the wmr wins.

I just seriously hope you guys at htc listen and REALLY discount the faceplate for us pretty much beta testers for  your headset.

Because if you can't get it upto par with wmr and expect me to pay as much as the headset to get external tracking this this is getting returned

I tried the beta 1.0.10.4 . but I think the tracking was better in 1.0.9.6 as it seams to be faster to recapture the controllers with cameras after they have been out of view.

still not the best tracking but hopefully the ir faceplate can help with that when it gets released 😄

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hooflee said:

Because if you can't get it upto par with wmr and expect me to pay as much as the headset to get external tracking this is getting returned

Lol all of this talk about helpful posts, and I have one...

Return this device while you still can... and maybe re-buy when (or at this point 'if') they keep their promise on the external tracking mod and buy it only as a combo.

I have a feeling that the optical tracking [hardware] issue mentioned earlier is no joke. I think the cameras inside the headset were poorly chosen, and the choice of controller shape and not using IR is a huge mistake. These issues seem like hardware problems.

3 hours ago, llealloo said:

Lol all of this talk about helpful posts, and I have one...

Return this device while you still can... and maybe re-buy when (or at this point 'if') they keep their promise on the external tracking mod and buy it only as a combo.

I have a feeling that the optical tracking [hardware] issue mentioned earlier is no joke. I think the cameras inside the headset were poorly chosen, and the choice of controller shape and not using IR is a huge mistake. These issues seem like hardware problems.

The there is a post had mention the reason not using IR tracking is because Oculus own the IR tracking pattern. In order to go around it and for the sake of MR, (integrated AR  & AV functions).

Btw, I wander why VIVE FOCUS PLUS ‘s tracking tech could not apply to Cosmos.