Cosmos Beta release - 1.0.10.4

C.T.

1 hour ago, Cossack said:

I think people are upset because they spent finished product retail price for a product which under performs and under delivers.

The dev's have not said that they can fix hardware related issues with firmware.

The cosmos is limited due to the way that the tracking was implemented which is whey they are in such a hurry to deploy the tracking face plate. 

Of course people who already own the Cosmos are going to feel ripped off and lied to when they will need to spend more that the original price to buy the components to upgrade and fix it. face plate, new controllers and new sensors. 

Your assumption has been misleading I believe. 

1) When the time Cosmos launched in October last year, they havd already mention it’s a modualr type of HMD that hardware can be update. The lighhouse faceplate is mainly targeting those OG Vive or Vive pro owner imhp.

2) The inside out tracking or All in one VR device is the fututure of VR. Mobility is king and , just like mobile phone, it’s a trend that cannot be ignored. One of the reason of Oculus Quest booming is coz it’s easy to set up without setting up lighhouse tracking.  Any company is not aware of that might not be competitive in the game. 

Conclusion: I don’t think HTC is evilly try to lie  and ripped off people and force them to buy the faceplate. Instead they’ve just lack of people and resources, lack of VR pattern and heavily  rely on their supply chain to offer tech of VR. They will fix Cosmos tracking instability, they have to, for the sake of company future strategy.

• Like 1

Dude, you don't sell something retail, high price, and expect your users to test it. That is ridiculous. When you sell an end product, it is supposed to be working. Period. When you buy a car you expect it to work, right? You don't expect steering to be all over the place, and wait for it to improve over the next months if you submit enough debug data.

I appreciate the HTC employees in this forum, and I thank them for the effort to communicate constructively, especially since it is not their own fault the product is like it is. I also appreciate the devs working to improve it. But when I see end users trying to excuse a business practice that's toxic and ridiculous, I can't just put up with it. /rant

• Like 1

8 hours ago, skydna said:

Dude, you don't sell something retail, high price, and expect your users to test it. That is ridiculous. When you sell an end product, it is supposed to be working. Period. When you buy a car you expect it to work, right? You don't expect steering to be all over the place, and wait for it to improve over the next months if you submit enough debug data.

I appreciate the HTC employees in this forum, and I thank them for the effort to communicate constructively, especially since it is not their own fault the product is like it is. I also appreciate the devs working to improve it. But when I see end users trying to excuse a business practice that's toxic and ridiculous, I can't just put up with it. /rant

Htc starting to sound like EA 

On 2/11/2020 at 3:56 PM, lamyipming said:

I think we won't see any update soon probably because of the situation in China. 

We haven't seen anymore updates but HTC have the resources available to announce multiple variants of the Cosmos....

https://www.theverge.com/2020/2/20/21145156/htc-vive-cosmos-series-announced-elite-play-xr-faceplates

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Sago36 said:

We haven't seen anymore updates but HTC have the resources available to announce multiple variants of the Cosmos....

https://www.theverge.com/2020/2/20/21145156/htc-vive-cosmos-series-announced-elite-play-xr-faceplates

With the fact that they have announced that the new inside out tracking variant (albeit with 2 fewer cameras) is for lightweight VR useage (Angry Birds), I wouldn't expect any groundbreaking tracking updates for the original Cosmos now. Neither will I be pre-ordering any of these new headsets. Not falling for that one again!

Reviews will dictate things for me when they are released

• Like 2

I feel a little bit cheated, will there be an extra for those people like us, who did buy a device that is already EOF after 5 months.  This is not the way to solve our problems HTC, i hope HTC will come with some extra information and perheaps huge discounts for people who

did buy the cosmos for 799 euro

• Like 4