WHAT RESOLUTION??

G FUNK

My vr picture looks like crap. no way this is what everybody's talking about as far as the beautiful resolution and how good this thing is. I just purchased this thing second hand, so I don't know what it's supposed to be like but there no it suppose be this bad. I've never this is the first VR experience I've ever had so I don't know much about it, anything about it to tell you truth. can somebody please help me out with some settings or is there something I'm supposed to do, to set up to make it look good?

HTC VIVE, 2 CONTROLLERS, 1 BASE STATION ON TRIPOD.

RYZEN 7 1700X LIQUID COOLED

AMD RADEON RX 580 4G

8G RAM

250G SSD

1T HD

WINDOWS 10 

STEAM VR

@VibrantNebula

@G FUNK

• That's a first generation Vive - it's ~2016 technology so the panel is definitely lower resolution than more modern headsets but the quality is among the highest of the first generation consumer headsets.
  • The RX 580 is on the very low end for VR compatibility and would be considered below system spec for most modern software. It's simply not going to be able to drive GPU intensive applications at full resolution.
  • SteamVR tries to dynamically adjust the resolution of your application depending on your hardware. You can push the hardware further by adjusting these values over "100%" - it's called super-sampling (via custom resolution multipliers).
  • Your GPU isn't powerful enough to supersample but actually the opposite - many games may already be automatically automatically adjusting below 100% to try and hit a usable framerate. This usually manifests itself as blurryness.
  • I'd recommend toying with supersampling and learning how to read the frame timing graph if you want to try and optimize your experience but overall you're going to be limited by your GPU and you should probably be going under 100% rather than over in most cases.
  • You won't be able to drive current gen HMDs without a hardware upgrade.

1,9,13_Video_PerApplication.PNG

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/9/2020 at 3:08 PM, G FUNK said:

My vr picture looks like crap. no way this is what everybody's talking about as far as the beautiful resolution and how good this thing is. I just purchased this thing second hand, so I don't know what it's supposed to be like but there no it suppose be this bad. I've never this is the first VR experience I've ever had so I don't know much about it, anything about it to tell you truth. can somebody please help me out with some settings or is there something I'm supposed to do, to set up to make it look good?

HTC VIVE, 2 CONTROLLERS, 1 BASE STATION ON TRIPOD.

RYZEN 7 1700X LIQUID COOLED

AMD RADEON RX 580 4G

8G RAM

250G SSD

1T HD

WINDOWS 10 

STEAM VR

@VibrantNebula

Okay, you're obviously new to computers to start with...

You're "LIQUID COOLING" a lower end performing CPU for absolutely no reason whatsoever. 

Next of all, your GPU is a budget low end GPU (In terms of GB), it's not meant for intensive gaming, especially anything above 1080P, Not even 2018+ games!, For higher end games you're looking at an 8GB card..  You're using 4GB..  I don't know what you're expecting, Decades ago, such small rammed GPU's like 2GB e.t.c were set in "Crossfire - SLI" modes...   you have 1 Option, upgrade... You can buy a "390X 8GB" from EBAY that would do better than your 580

Because your computer is a lowend (budget) build,  your games in "VR GAMES" are auto sampling and adjusting resolutions to better stand a headsets abilities!  Nothing is wrong, buy a better computer or upgrade and you'll get better resolution it's simple... and as someone else stated above me, again the games are auto adjusting.

Also you should be using 2 Base stations not 1..