Playing in the dark on Vive Cosmos

Hydro9

Hello. Is it possible to play in the dark on Vive Cosmos without buying additional sensors? I don't want to turn on all the lights in the room in the middle of the night, and I'll add that I only play in the evenings, because I have no time during the day. I must admit that this is currently the biggest disadvantage of Vive Cosmos.

4 hours ago, Hydro9 said:

Hello. Is it possible to play in the dark on Vive Cosmos without buying additional sensors? I don't want to turn on all the lights in the room in the middle of the night, and I'll add that I only play in the evenings, because I have no time during the day. I must admit that this is currently the biggest disadvantage of Vive Cosmos.

No - Cosmos' standard optical tracking solution requires you to be in a well lit room. The only flavor of Cosmos that would support this would be if you were using Cosmos with an External Tracking faceplate so you could leverage base-station tracking which works in the dark.

On 2/20/2020 at 6:07 PM, Hydro9 said:

@VibrantNebula that all said, had a quick look and there is no IR filter on the HMD, so if one wanted to play in the *dark  then yes as far as i can tell it is possible, unless you know of specific limitations of the cameras in the HMD?

So on a technicality you should be able to play in the "dark" as seen by your eyes, not sure of the issues that may be introduced in tracking (you will probably have to test for us, as I cant imagine HTC validating this), im sorry but I dont have a decent IR source to test this im afraid, your going to have to undertake the leg work here.
you could buy a few of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/Illuminator-Infrared-Security-Vision-Camera/dp/B00BGLR78A/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=IR+lamps&qid=1582334138&sr=8-6
that is one of the first I clicked on, i have not put any major research in to the pro's and cons of the different manafacturers, do look into it a bit, and hopefully you will get a solution that suits you.

*dark, what is dark? i take it as the spectrum visible to human eyes.

hmdlight.PNG

Edited by Lionel