HTC Vive on PS4

amthorpe2000

I have seen on a couple of YouTube videos that it is possible to play PS4 VR games with the HTC Vive by using remote play. Is this possible ?

I am considering buying either the PS4 VR or he HTC Vive, looking at them I think the HTC Vive is better although it costs more.

If the HTC Vive can be used on both then that is the better option,

Hi . PS4 remote play is a way to allow people to play PS4 games away from their console / TV setup.

It might be possible to use remote play to play PS4 games via the Vive headset, but you would still need to own both a PS4 and a Vive. If you're trying to decide between each of them, then remote play wouldn't really be an option!

Thanks i have a PS4 already and a PC. This question was to see if anyone here had tried it. I doubt the PS4 VR would work with a PC but the other way round sounds feasible. If i can buy 1 VR that does both makes more sense than just going for the cheaper PS4 VR option.

If you've seen someone do it, I guess it's possible - although I doubt the experience would be that good by comparison to playing 'natively'.

While I'm obviously biased, I think on hardware, Vive is a better experience at giving you real VR presence. Ultimately though, I'd base your decision on what you really want to experience in VR. If there are more tempting things on the Vive, then go for it.

Either way you're welcome here. :)

• 11 months later...

Why would you want to do that? I mean the VIVE is low end trash in every way, minus tracking , and higher resoultion, which obviously wouldn't translate over remote  play.  Which barely make up for the downy lenses they put in this thing. Using a vive to play fallout 4 cause your forced I understand, but vive is like taking a pair of glasses, taking a screw driver and scratching circles around your lenses.  You honestly got me stumped. Why would you want to stick this heavy thing on your head, which is over a pound heavier than a PSVR, has god ray swirls all over the place. Vrs using the PSVR which fits better, is lighter, has 10 times better lenses with nice and clear view of everything. I can understand wanting to do it the other way maybe, if you could figure out how to use more PS cameras so it has better tracking. 

wrote:

If i can buy 1 VR that does both makes more sense than just going for the cheaper PS4 VR option.

This unfortunately is one problem that actually might make or break virtual reality, and it seems that 3DTV suffered the same fate.  3DTV had so many different versions it was just too confusing for end consumers, there was active and passive (I've got active on a Panasonic 4K TV which makes 3D films look amazing and I've seen passive on a friends LG and was like oh that looks awful!), then if you had active there was even more choice depending on whether the TV supported bluetooth, or IR, or it's own version (Philips had a box that could do it which used  it's own glasses!), and in gaming you had nVidia creating their own version of 3D, specifically for their own monitors - when loads of people have started moving towards the idea of plugging computers into TV's especially since TV's went full HD.

Manufacturers unfortunately are greedy and they want everyone to be using their products for everything, in an ideal world Sony would love it if everyone out there with a PS4 had to use a Sony TV to play the console on, along with a Sony sound bar, and a Sony VR headset... etc...  but the problem with that is it puts people off adapting the new technology because in reality your only going to want to buy one VR headset.  It's like a TV, if you had to buy a TV for an Xbox One, and then a separate TV for a PS4 and separate TV for watching TV and a fourth TV for using a computer, and a fifth TV for a smart TV box TV sales would quickly plummet, people don't want to spend £500 four times over just so they can use VR on multiple devices, adding to the fact that it's going to cost £500 per player (although I think an option to use Google Cardboard and stream the VR to a phone screen would be a much better idea - as each VR headset would be about £10-£20 then and people could use their own phones - and look at how many people now actually have one of these phone VR headsets and look at how much has been developed for them - all the big names like Youtube, BBC, etc are supporting them)

It also gives developers a nightmare too - because which VR system do they develop for - I notice recently Skyrim has come out on PS4 VR but Fallout4 has gone with HTC Vive.  Do developers really want to develop stuff three or four times over just because the companies are all doing different things, with the risk that so many of the ideas are going to be discontinued (and ultimately the technology could quite easily end up like another HD-DVD, 3DTV, Kinect idea - just scrapped within minutes by the manufacturers and then developers are left with a load of software that can't be used, and initial people who took up the idea are also left with a load of redundant expensive hardware that is now worth peanuts.

• 4 weeks later...

wrote:

Why would you want to do that? I mean the VIVE is low end trash in every way, minus tracking , and higher resoultion

I agree, why on earth would you actually want an immersive experience when you can simply sit on your butt with the psvr and be a couch potato? Just because you want to justify your purchase of psvr does not give you permission to trash others' reasons for wanting a superior experience.

Both systems have their target audiences and I would guess that all you want is a sitdown or stand still experience. That is fine, but why the trash talk. GET A LIFE! The PSVR by all accounts and reviews is NOT the superior system but has a price point that is attractive. Unfortunately, the weakened immersion of the pvsr will not help catapult VR unless people accept the fact that there are VWs and there are high-end sports cars. You get what you pay for. Yes, the lenses can have swirls and screen door effects on the Vive but when properly fitted they are mostly eliminated. The Vive does weigh more but it also feels like a well manufactured piece of hardware vs something that feels cheap and flimsey. That is the problem I had with the Rift. It has less screen door effect but literally feels like cheap plastic.

I want  to point out that developers can more easily target most VR platforms mentioned with the right tools.  And there's already a consortium (OpenXR) that will make it even easier for developers and end users by promoting binary compatibility across engines in the future.  So compatisons with the incompatibilites of the past is off mark as there's much more in common today across most VR devices.  So if a specific title is only available on a specific platform, you would have to ask that developer and not simply assume the reasons are necessarily technical or exclusivity deals.

Developers should always make their best effort to target as many platforms as possible. So users don't have to make a specific platform decision due to content as more often than not the same content eventually makes its way to most platforms.

• 9 months later...

Hi, I have PS4 and was wandering if HTC Vive will work on it.

I want to buy HTC Vive to use principally Tilt brush.

If they are compatible, Is possible to save my draws on PS4?

Could you please help me with it?

Thanks,

Archived