cannot launch viveport all of a sudden

lee1968

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Please do.

Every time I start SteamVR and press the power button on the controllers, the controllers turn on, then shut off a few seconds later.

Only way to make it stay on, is to plug it into a USB cable on my computer, turn it on, then disconnect, then repeat with the other controller. Then it will stay paired until i close steamVR again, at which point I have to repeat the whole process again

Try these:

Reset the controller

If the controller is not behaving as expected, it’s having pairing issues or it’s having tracking issues, resetting it will update the status of the controller and will allow it to be set up again.

1. Power off the controller.
  2. While holding [Grip] + [Touchpad] + [Menu buttons], plug the controller to the PC via USB.
  3. Continue holding until the PC recognizes the controller as a USB drive (a sound will be made on the computer).
  4. Release the buttons and then unplug the controller.

Unpair all controllers using the SteamVR console

In order to connect and isolate multiple controllers, the system will pair the controllers with a unique identifier and will link this information to the tracking system. When one or both controllers are having pairing issues, releasing these settings will allow you to pair both controllers without interfering registries.

1. On the PC, browse to C:\Program Files(x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\SteamVR\tools\lighthouse\bin\win32
  2. Run exe
  3. Type unpairall in the console window and then hit enter.
  4. Once finished, the console window will display two identifiers as confirmation.
  5. Close the console and restart SteamVR.
  6. Attempt to pair the controllers again.

Thanks,

-John C

I cannot reset the controller.

Holding the grip touchpad and menu buttons for any given amount of time does nothing for me when I plug in the controller via USB. Controller light turns orange to show charging, but that is all.

Unpairing and repairing the controllers did not resolve the issue.

Things I tried from Reddit (https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/4dnvzc/psa_things_to_try_if_youre_having_controller/)

1) Disabling HDMI Audio (Vive Audio) from the playback devices (Not sure why this is relevent but some people had success with this

2) I have an ASUS Board, but none of the ASUS Software is installed so there is nothing to uninstall

3) I have had this issue for almost a year, which means I have tried it with Windows 7, 8, 10 and their respective service packs.
4) Formatting this machine (I have done this several times, twice specifically in an attempt to fix various VIVE issues) does nothing. Same exact controller problems exist.

1 & 2) That should fix it, as far as the USB problems go as long as you stay in USB 2.0 you're fine. At this point, make sure the controller is charged up, it may be a controller malfunction though, especially if you can't reset it normally. You may want to RMA the controller at this point though, if it's stuck in charging, won't pair and won't reset.

3) It's just my signature on the forum.

Thanks,

-John C

Its not stuck in charging.

When I plug it in via usb and turn it on, it works fine, paired and stuff. I can then disconnect it and use it freely
It will pair fine, while plugged in, just wont do it when its not plugged in, and it shuts off within seconds of turning it on.

It wont reset though, I have no idea why. I find it odd that BOTH controllers have the same issue, which is why i'm not convinced the controllers are the problem, but rather firmware or something else.

How do I go about an RMA If that is what needs to be done?

Archived