Suggestion: Future Headset Design

MainFragger

Yea

wrote:

I am about 5'11".  Honestly, I have the lighthouses resting on a shelf that is probably a good 2 inches shorter than I am standing.  Most of the time thats not a big issue, because 90% of my usage is seated.   But I am getting to the point where that percentage is gonna change a bit..   There's no way to really mount them higher in my room (and after New years it won't be my room anymore, anyway). 

I am not sure what I am gonna do after that, because I have that computer and VR setup at a friend's house and there is a lot of room where I have it, and there isn't really room for it at my house. 

Yeah, you really need to get the lighthouses above your head. We recommend at least 6.5 feet because we expect most people to be around 6ft tall (as you are, just about!). As you've seen, for seated use, not a problem... but for standing, yeah, short of crouching you'll need to figure something out for best performance. :\

OK..so, I am just curious.. just how ellaborate is the lighthouse tracking.  Can you technically make other accessories that have the HMD pattern on it, and have the lighthouse track it just by the patterns?   What if I made a vest or gloves with that or a similar pattern on it?

wrote:

Never mind.  I found an article about it.  Its not just a physical sweek.  The tracked object needs some kind of photo diode for the technology to work.. So you can't just design something physically like the field on the front of the HMD and have it work..

Indeed, it's not just pretty dots. They have a function. :)

More sensors on more objects could be your answer....

Archived