Testing Cosmos wireless adapter

davide445

For next demos I was evaluating the wireless option, that will be probably more comfortable for less technical people.

But considering this come with some doubt about the compatibility with our PC AMD processor, the current processor ability to deal with the data encoding, usage with the available PCIe port (have a double GPU system with little space available to access the PCIex1 port, if a x16 is needed I will need to sacrifice a GPU), ergonomics with another weight on the head, etc, want to know if there is any option to test it / rent it before actually purchasing it in Europe, since if using it will result in needing a complete overhaul of my working PC this will need a time more relevant than the involved components cost.

The PCIe slot topic concern me a bit, this is interior status just after being built (in the meantime added another front fan and some other disks)

spacer.png

need to check if a PCIex1 slot it's reachable.

The CPU it's a Ryzen 5 2600X, considering also your answer to mine previous question

I suppose might work, even if maybe not so well. That's a bit my concern with too many uncertain, to have a beautiful solution that in fact will not provide a true comfort enhancement due to hw limitations, or not work at all.

I have a cosmos headset with wireless adapter attached to a Asus prime x470 pro (AMD) motherboard. I have no problems running on this mbd. If you buy the wireless adapter from EU or a good supplier you can usually return it if you did have any incompatibility problems. Wireless is so much easier, no cables to trip over.

Was reading the wireless range it's 6x6mt (20x20ft).

With a prospect to suggest it also for a customer usage in industrial settings, that might have available rooms much bigger than our office or homes, wondering if the inside out headset tracking will have problems with rooms bigger than 6x6.

Since the tracking is looking at reference points I suppose a too big room will make them too far away to be visible, so the limitation will become the headset and not the wireless adapter. 

Anyone ever tested the tracking max compatible room size? 

@davide445

• If you can mount your PC overhead in the center of the room, you can start to achieve larger wireless coverage but the PC-side transmitter is only rated for 6m range so the math works out that the biggest space you can achieve is about 10x10m which happens to coincide with the playspace for 4x2.0 stations. Mounting overhead is the only real workaround to add play volume. Otherwise, 6x6 is the range for a standard mounting scenario.
  • Current inside out headsets don't do well past 2x2M playspaces - drift errors start to accumulate and get magnified.
  • We generally do not provide loaners or evaluation equipment unless it's part of a larger partnership or agreement. We get thousands of these types of requests each quarter so it's generally unfeasible for us to operate such a program in any meaningful way.
  • Thanks 1

On 2/28/2020 at 10:37 PM, VibrantNebula said:

Current inside out headsets don't do well past 2x2M playspaces - drift errors start to accumulate and get magnified.

Using some passive markers to be placed around the room floor and walls might improve the situation? 

Is there any performance hit expected with the wireless adapter ?

Cosmos is running Dirt Rally 2.0 nicely (90 fps I guess) and would  not like to lose any fps.
Playing with Intel 9700K and Nvidia 2080 Super.

Didn't own the wireless adapter, evaluating his usage for an upcoming projects. 

From all what I've read seems to have no graphics quality nor lag hits. The only problem reported from some users is heat after more than 1.5h usage. 

2 hours ago, pataan said:

Is there any performance hit expected with the wireless adapter ?

Cosmos is running Dirt Rally 2.0 nicely (90 fps I guess) and would  not like to lose any fps.
Playing with Intel 9700K and Nvidia 2080 Super.

2 hours ago, davide445 said:

Didn't own the wireless adapter, evaluating his usage for an upcoming projects. 

From all what I've read seems to have no graphics quality nor lag hits. The only problem reported from some users is heat after more than 1.5h usage. 

Both you guys should realize that the wireless adapter is pretty CPU intensive and needs a good GPU as well.  I have a fairly strong CPU (i9 9900k w/cooler) and GPU (gtx1080ti, which I will probably look at upgrading later this year to nvidia's upcoming rtx3000 series, maybe a 3080ti?).  While I do not notice much performance diffs on many simple games, more complex flight/racing sims can take a pretty big hit because many of these do not efficiently  utalise CPU multi-threading.  With these sims I get hit with ~20-25% lower performance (fps).  This is the same for both my Vive Pro and Cosmos with the wireless adapter.