Eye Tracking SDK (SRanipal) for UE4

I'm creating experiments in Unreal to test with the VIVE PRO EYE (which I just bought) to extract analytics of gaze time and points. Does it generate heat maps or visualisations like Tobii Pro Lab? Can you provide any information of how to extract and visualise data with Vive pro eye and Unreal? Or tutorial for how to use the eye tracking in Unreal?

Thank you. 

@komnidan - Please see my responses here, and here.

In short, our SDK doesn't offer analytics tools out of the box but you may be able to roll your own solution using our APIs depending on the level of hardware access you need. Otherwise, you can license the Tobii XR SDK from Tobii which will give you deeper API access to the hardware and comes with a suite of Tobii' built analytics tools.

The SDK package has .HTML documentation for Unreal. @MariosBikos_HTC is more familiar with the Unreal Implementation than myself and may have additional resources for you.

Hey @komnidan,

regarding SRanipal in Unreal as @VibrantNebula said, there is .html documentation with all the available classes/namespaces/functions and there are Sample Levels inside the UE4 SRanipal plugin that can help you with Eye Tracking. They are located inside the plugin itself. There is also a .pdf document with instructions on how to set up the plugin in Unreal.

We will soon post some tutorials on Getting Started with Eye Tracking in Unreal Engine as well. 
There is also an webinar tomorrow and you can register for it here: https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/3864979489729227788

• 1 year later...

Hi @Marc Moukarzel
I tried to extract data from SRanipal for eye direction, fixation, and confidence value with a unix timestamp using the Blueprint mentioned here by @cte and I am getting the x,y,z values for left eye and right eye directions in the columns B & A respectively as shown in the image attached below,

image.png.986dfe785effa68c3a95208b9c66b6c5.png

BP:

image.thumb.png.14e81a9084b563691a32e5002eae6ec1.png

Query 1: But do you know why i am getting the fixation and confidence values (column C & D values) as zero every time? (I implemented the above actor blueprint that i have created in the sample level ("EyeSample") that came with HTC vive SRanipal sdk zipped folder. (the one which has DART board and a human head to track our eye movements)

Query2: At least in this eye sample level, I was able to get the right and left eye directions  but when I implemented the same blueprint in my own project (a VR project containing animations of several metahumans to mimick scenarios that are happening in an office environment that I created for my academic research purpose) after installing SRanipal & victory plugins & placing that actor BP inside the scene in that project as mentioned here, i didn't even got the data of the directions of both the eyes that i was getting earlier in the sample level  that came with SRanipal SDK. The data that i got is attached below,

image.thumb.png.7fb8b18ec5905fcb32d559388e1582c7.png

Should I copy any other files for it to work in other projects? What mistake I am doing here?

Query3:   After getting the directions of both the eyes,  how can I analyze it to use it for my research purpose? Does HTC VIVE has any eye tracking data analytics tool similar to what VARJO team has built? If NO, could you share any method to proceed after getting those data in a .CSV file? (I am new to this VR stuff and programming, so i am facing these difficulties)

Could you please help me out? @MariosBikos @cte @HackPerception @AnanyaSairaj @komnidan@paco67@mserdarozden @akali @Jori1110 @Franka  and other people who are working in the same domain...

If anyone were able to successfully store and analyse the eye tracking data coming from HTC VIVE PRO EYE, please share your insights here so that it will be helpful for other people who are going to use this SRanipal SDK in future...

Also if HTC VIVE team provides their own analytics tool like other competitors, it would be very much helpful.

Thanks in Advance!

Regards
Lokesh

12 minutes ago, woody loks said:

Could you please help me out? @MariosBikos @cte @HackPerception @AnanyaSairaj @komnidan@paco67@mserdarozden @akali @Jori1110 @Franka  and other people who are working in the same domain...

If anyone were able to successfully store and analyse the eye tracking data coming from HTC VIVE PRO EYE, please share your insights here so that it will be helpful for other people who are going to use this SRanipal SDK in future...

Also if HTC VIVE team provides their own analytics tool like other competitors, it would be very much helpful.

Thanks in Advance!

@Daniel_Y @MadisV I thought your insights could be valuable to my above queries...

42 minutes ago, woody loks said:

Query2: At least in this eye sample level, I was able to get the right and left eye directions  but when I implemented the same blueprint in my own project (a VR project containing animations of several metahumans to mimick scenarios that are happening in an office environment that I created for my academic research purpose) after installing SRanipal & victory plugins & placing that actor BP inside the scene in that project as mentioned here, i didn't even got the data of the directions of both the eyes that i was getting earlier in the sample level  that came with SRanipal SDK

I found the mistake that I was doing for QUERY 2.

I haven't enabled this in my own project : "If you want to use Eye tracking in Editor, you need to tick the “Enable Eye by Default” box in Project Settings -> Plugins -> SRanipal of your UE4 project"

Now I'm getting the directions of both the eyes but still fixation and confidence values are zero only as shown below and a new problem also came as mentioned below,

image.thumb.png.108920dcbb5f2c9fd4ad0df54594ea7d.png

A new problem here is: suddenly the tracking is going OFF i guess. I say this after seeing the values before and after that window from row 218 to 225 above.

If you guys know how to get rid of that problem, pls share here... @Daniel_Y @MadisV @MariosBikos @cte @HackPerception @AnanyaSairaj @komnidan@paco67@mserdarozden @akali @Jori1110 @Franka

Thanks & Regards
Lokesh

• 8 months later...

Hi guys 

I am a beginner on eye-tracking. May I ask some basic question?

How can I read or get some data or information from SRanipal? I use UE4. 

The thing is that I clicked the pack log on SRanipal logo and out put a .zip file, but I cant open or unzip it. Did I do something wrong?

Or is there any possible for me just use UE4 blueprint script to get all things out?

Dose someone may help me on that? Thanks so much.