HAlf Life Alyx : Feedback

NRip

hy, guys

I wanted to share with you my feelings after 6 hours of play ....AMAZING !
no tracking problem with the htc cosmos controllers, the aim is very correct, the only negative point is the use of the left hand with the torch that cannot be placed on the top of the right hand, there has some dropout happening.

For those who have it, what graphic options did you select in steam ? and in the game ?

• Like 3

Hi mate.

I've only played for about 1 hour so far but yes, it is probably the best game optimised for VR, aside from Lone Echo, that I've played. My average frame rate never drops below 89.9 so I'm really happy with it as is my visual cortex. 

As far as the settings go, I just use the defaults because I have endlessly tweaked settings to get games that just aren't optimised for VR working e.g. Fallout 4 and Subnautica and at the end of the day the more time that you spend in VR the more your brain adapts to your environment so after a relatively short time you just accept your situation in game as long as it flows and nothing ganky or jerky shocks you out of the immersion. In other words you stop being so critical of every pixel and frame drop because it isn't so important to the experience your enjoying. Plus it looks and feels great to me as is but if I get time maybe I'll try it with the wireless adaptor and see how that goes.

I hope this does become the new standard for developers to aspire to going forward. Oh by the way, as far as tracking goes there are still the issues when close to the head and occlusion of controllers but generally still very playable, hopefully there will still be improvements as I am interested in the AR face plate which will need better tracking to make it viable or it probably just won't be competitive in the emerging market.

Fink

• Like 2

Hey there!

I've finished the game two times already, and heading for the third! I put the game in the ultra graphics pre-set, but gotta admit that sometimes it has some frame drops, specially with the puzzle holograms.

And I disagree with you, there is some problems of tracking. If you put the controller to close to your headset (to aim a little better), the ingame hands drifts a little. Aside from that, there is a hand-to-mouth game mechanic that is REALLY frustrating to do sometimes, but I think it's the same problem (controller close to headset).

And that is it!

• Like 1

@NRip I can definitely agree with how you're feeling regarding Alyx. I'm about 4 hours in or so now and it's been great on the Cosmos. Highly immersive level of graphics, resolution and framerate on the HMD. The minor inside-out tracking issues with the Cosmos are overshadowed by the level of optimization Valve has put into the game's tracking. My hands will occasionally take a moment to get in front of me if I've kept them fully down by my sides, but regarding movement, aiming, combat and manipulating objects I've yet to be disappointed. A good gauge I've been using for any game's tracking is the "sweatiness" level when in weapon combat: If I can't reload or aim my gun properly the frustration soon follows, you panic and die, left sweaty and angry at tracking. If I can smoothly switch weapons, reload, aim for headshots - then I am enjoying the experience. The latter directly applies to playing Half Life: Alyx on Cosmos 👍

As for graphics options I've just stuck with the detected default (second from highest I believe), I may play around with it on the second playthrough but at this point it's run flawlessly. 

• Like 1

What did you guys do to setup the controllers?

I only played it for like 15 mins and just explored around the apartment - but finger control seems to be only to make a fist.

Of course I'm not expecting finger tracking like an Index, but only 1 button seems to do anything. Maybe i'm missing something?

@Shevron , Unless your on Index controllers - Valve made it so that only your trigger controls hand actions. The grip buttons don't work on any other controller - for instance on Vive wands - the grip button triggers the pause button. A/B/X/Y have functions related to ejecting clips, pause menu, reloading your first round, ect... The mapping on Oculus controllers is the same as Cosmos, ect...

3 minutes ago, VibrantNebula said:

@Shevron , Unless your on Index controllers - Valve made it so that only your trigger controls hand actions. The grip buttons don't work on any other controller - for instance on Vive wands - the grip button triggers the pause button. A/B/X/Y have functions related to ejecting clips, pause menu, reloading your first round, ect... The mapping on Oculus controllers is the same as Cosmos, ect...

Cheers!