ASUS ROG Zephyrus G14 + HTC vive = HDMI issue. Help

fransan

I don't know what a G14 is, but I have the Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 Super. Two HDMI and Two Display Ports.

They covered up unused ports with shields that are incredibly tough to remove.  So when I went looking for ports and almost broke these shields trying to pry them off, I figured they were permanent and there was nothing behind them.  Should have hunted down a spec sheet for my graphics card instead.

47 minutes ago, SuperTRev said:

I don't know what a G14 is, but I have the Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 Super. Two HDMI and Two Display Ports.

They covered up unused ports with shields that are incredibly tough to remove.  So when I went looking for ports and almost broke these shields trying to pry them off, I figured they were permanent and there was nothing behind them.  Should have hunted down a spec sheet for my graphics card instead.

Please read the thread subject. The thread is about the ASUS ROG Zephyrus G14 laptop and its support for the HTC vive.

@Captain Obvious There is no documentation on more than one display port on the Asus ROG G14 fromthe specs. There is an extra HDMI port, which has proven not to work well with the GPU when used with the HTC vive.

Edited by GuySoft

• 1 month later...

I just bought DP to USB-c adapter as suggested here, but my HTC Vive doesn't have DP output. So this adapter is useless. HTC only has HDMI and looks like miniDP outputs.

Sorry for a dummy question - why recommend this adapted if HTC doesn't support DP? Do i need to buy some other adapter to make this set up work?

12 hours ago, comcomer99 said:

I just bought DP to USB-c adapter as suggested here, but my HTC Vive doesn't have DP output. So this adapter is useless. HTC only has HDMI and looks like miniDP outputs.

Sorry for a dummy question - why recommend this adapted if HTC doesn't support DP? Do i need to buy some other adapter to make this set up work?

I believe the vive forum admin recommended a type C DP to full size DP. This is a bit misleading when we're talking about the vive and G14. If you look at the other posts I recommended a type C to miniDP. I also said that a type c to hdmi adapter worked for me.

Edited by Captain Obvious

• 4 months later...

@steenblikrs I would recommend getting the exact model number off of your laptop and contacting Asus to see what the port mapping is for your specific model of laptop. It may have a USB-C port that you can use to drive a Displayport headset. You'd want to call and verify that one of the USB-C ports supports Displayport 1.2+ signaling and is connected directly to your dedicated GPU (usually an Nvidia card). If they say that you have a port that works, you can try the following adapter which is fairly reliable: Club 3D CAC-1507

@Captain Obvious @comcomer99 - You're both right. I accidentally linked their HDMI adapter. The Club 3D CAC-1507 is the most reliable USB-C -> Displayport adapter we've found.