How to best Reinstall Vive Software - Vive Pro?

HenryAiden

I recently am having a few audio startup problems with my Vive Pro.  After starting up SteamVR I need to restart the headset or else the audio is distorted/crackles.  After this, all works well.  I have checked my SteamVR installation (checked file integ) and all is fine.  I thought it may be useful to re-install my Vive software to see if better drivers are available.  Is this a good idea and if so, how am I best to do this.  Thanks.

4 hours ago, HenryAiden said:

I recently am having a few audio startup problems with my Vive Pro.  After starting up SteamVR I need to restart the headset or else the audio is distorted/crackles.  After this, all works well.  I have checked my SteamVR installation (checked file integ) and all is fine.  I thought it may be useful to re-install my Vive software to see if better drivers are available.  Is this a good idea and if so, how am I best to do this.  Thanks.

I had the exact same problem a few months ago with my Vive Pro.  Reinstalling all my Vive Pro software including SteamVR and VivePort did not help.  What I found solved my Vive Pro audio problem was to uninstall my nvidia drivers with DDU  and then reinstall  my nvidia graphics, HD audio, and physx drivers.  You may get away without using DDU to uninstall these and just update your nvidia drivers to something more current than you now have.  I'm using nvidia 442.19 and it works great.

Once you reinstall these drivers startup SteamVR and right click on the SteamVR icon window, select settings, Audio, and then select the Vive Pro HD audio, Vive Pro mic, and at the your desktop audio for when SteamVR exits.  After you do this, exit SteamVR and restart it.  Go into the SteamVR audio settings again to make sure it's using HD Vive Pro audio.  After it starts up you can select any mp3 music file you may have handy and it should play nicely, crackle free through your Vive Pro headphones.  Anyway, this worked well for me and I have not had any audio problems since.

On 9/5/2020 at 1:44 PM, HenryAiden said:

I recently am having a few audio startup problems with my Vive Pro.  After starting up SteamVR I need to restart the headset or else the audio is distorted/crackles.  After this, all works well.  I have checked my SteamVR installation (checked file integ) and all is fine.  I thought it may be useful to re-install my Vive software to see if better drivers are available.  Is this a good idea and if so, how am I best to do this.  Thanks. VidMate Mobdro word counter

The other thing is to check, is whether you are running out of USB Resources. You can check by opening Devices and Printers option. Right click on the various Vive components in that window (OR any others just to check) and see if any have a yellow triangle with the Troubleshoot message. If they have the yellow triangle, try unplugging various other USB devices that might not be required then unplug and replug the vive ones. Then check that none of the vive ones have a yellow triangle