Suggestions requested: Retain legacy DirectX 9 engine, but add VR capabilities (Stop laughing!)

Skwerl

Virtual reality rocks.  Corporate reality really sucks, sometimes.  I've been tasked with taking a large application from 2014 that uses a proprietary third party engine (Wait! It gets even better!) that was deprecated in 2011 and try to shoehorn VR into it as a proof of concept this fall.  I think I can trick the existing engine into rendering a stereo image pair to a couple framebuffers, but I'm wondering how to best (given the circumstances) get those images to the Vive for display.  And by best, I mean with as little latency as possible.  I'm sure I could sling them up as if I were playing a movie, but I fear that will not give a good experience.

Thank you for your patience.  I realize this is a goofy question, but I am hoping someone has a bit of guidance on how to approach this problem before I go piss away the next few weeks going in the wrong direction.

Thank you,
JNU

@Skwerl OpenVR has C++ native libraries that are used when incorporating into custom engines - you'd incorporate that into your project if possible to get IO into a SteamVR headset. OpenVR lets you target DirectX and OpenGL. I think most people who try to do this kind of thing target OpenGL. Alot of people who've done this work aren't able to share their work/solutions onto forums and discussion groups since they're working on proprietary products. Compounding the problem is that, the vast majority of online resources and threads are devoted towards Unity/UE4. Alot of conversations around custom integrations are likely going to be around Github issue reports.