View through each eye seems off

SapphireSouls

Hey folks,

Lately I noticed my Cosmos Elite headset has some weird issue where my view seems to be slightly offset to the right. I noticed this initially in VRChat looking at myself in a mirror and closing one eye, my right eye would look at my avatar's right eye, however my left eye would be looking at my nose bridge when making the avatar look straight at a mirror.

I thought it was maybe just a problem relating to the game itself, but after checking other apps and also comparing eye views on the SteamVR overlay, it seems to be a persistent issue with the headset itself.

Anyone know why it might be doing this? Any possible fixes I can do at home without RMA'ing my headset?

Thanks in advance.

15 hours ago, KristinaBanana said:

If you don't mind, could you capture the screenshots from the mirror mode?

I've taken two screenshots of the Vive Console mirror window, one staring at my avatar in VRChat as straight as I could, setting the headset down and placing the controllers both STRAIGHT next to the headset. Notice how the hands are at an obvious angle in-game, despite my controllers being completely flush next to the headset.

The second image, again, with the headset placed flat, I opened the SteamVR overlay without moving the headset so you can see how the overlay looks when viewed straight on. Notice how the overlay seems more centred in the left eye, but is off-set in the right eye.

I've tried performing a reinstall of the Vive software to no avail. I've mostly gotten used to it at this point, but having to turn my head at a slight angle to view things straight on is a little annoying. Any help resolving this would be greatly appreciated.

MirrorMode_abwkVGLfJj.jpg

x2J1egaHkl.jpg

On 10/5/2020 at 6:54 PM, C.T. said:

It's normal that you see one eye is rendering a little off from the other. 
It shouldn't effect the image clarity inside the HMD, unless it does to you.

It does affect my view INSIDE the headset though, that's the problem. I have to turn my head in real life slightly in order to be looking 'straight ahead' in VR. Viewing myself in a mirror using VRChat, if I turn my head so that I'm staring straight at myself in a mirror, I can clearly see that my view is off-set to one side slightly.

It's not completely game-breaking but it's sure annoying.

You can see it in the picture above, specifically the VRChat one. Compare the middle of both eye views, make a straight vertical line down the middle of both eye views, you can see the left eye is looking at the inner edge of the avatar's left eye, and the right eye is pretty much looking straight into the centre of the avatar's left eye. This is whilst looking at my avatar straight on in-game. There shouldn't be a noticeable disparity like that.

Edited by SapphireSouls

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 10/5/2020 at 12:54 PM, C.T. said:

It's normal that you see one eye is rendering a little off from the other. 
It shouldn't effect the image clarity inside the HMD, unless it does to you.

Ya mine is more to the left eye.  
It's a bit too noticable sometimes. 
And can take longer to "immerse" into VR or be pulled out of "immersion".
It's like 1mm too far into the vison and caused the left eye to feel off center.
No IPD setting works.  I have had my eyes professionally measured at 64.1 and that's clearest. 
But due to clarity the noticing of the offset eye is insanely noticable.
If a fix or custom setting for this could be done, it would be lovely.
Cosmos Elite as well.

Edited by darkfyrealgoma