VIVE OpenXR support for VIVE Cosmos

dario

5 minutes ago, bipul mohanto said:

Hi! I am using HTC Vive Pro Eye, and want to setup OpenXR. I do not want to use Unreal Engine, Unity3D, or any other game engine, because so far I know, none of the game engines included real-time raytracing feature for VR. Literally, I want to build my own raytracing engine with DX12. How can I setup OpenXR for my purpose? Is there any available tutorial? I did not find any details on that except the MSFS documentation. 

For the VIVE Pro Eye, you'd be using the SteamVR OpenXR runtime by default - but it sounds like you want to write your own runtime, all the documentation to do so is at http://openxr.org and the MS documentation as you mentioned. For features not available in the core spec, another path is to write an extension or propose one to the working group on the public slack or consider joining the group.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I recently updated to the latest update (2.0.17.0) and all button inputs have stopped working for me in Unity (2020.3.24). The position and rotation of the head and the hands work fine but the buttons and the control sticks do not. The Unity Input debugger shows no value changes on any of the button presses. I do see that the buttons are responsive in the vive loader

I tried restarting my computer, switching OpenXR to steam VR (made the hands stop tracking altogether), getting off the beta track for the vive console and updating to latest (2.0.19.1), and tried updating Unity to latest (2020.3.26) but nothing changed. This was working properly the day before

Any ideas or is there a way to revert to an earlier version?

On 1/18/2022 at 2:06 AM, ceronprime said:

Hello,

I recently updated to the latest update (2.0.17.0) and all button inputs have stopped working for me in Unity (2020.3.24). The position and rotation of the head and the hands work fine but the buttons and the control sticks do not. The Unity Input debugger shows no value changes on any of the button presses. I do see that the buttons are responsive in the vive loader

I tried restarting my computer, switching OpenXR to steam VR (made the hands stop tracking altogether), getting off the beta track for the vive console and updating to latest (2.0.19.1), and tried updating Unity to latest (2020.3.26) but nothing changed. This was working properly the day before

Any ideas or is there a way to revert to an earlier version?

@Dario We're experiencing the same issues in UE4.27. Everything was working fine on the beta branch for a while but now we don't get any input events through. Furthermore the system seems to never report it's focus state causing our application to not progress al together.

Additionally, with the latest version installed, Oculus OpenXR doesn't work either (even though Oculus is set up as the default OpenXR runtime). Uninstalling VivePort and related software immediately fixes those issues.

Edited by wout276
comment is suddenly hidden?

• 8 months later...

Got a Vive Cosmos 2 days ago and it crashes Unity whenever we try to use.

Just create an empty project, activate XR Plugin and OpenXR, restart the editor, add HTC Vive Controller Input, transform main camera into XR Rig (the standard for creating an Open XR scene, nothing fancy).

Click play -> Crash. 

SteamVR is working correctly, and in the Vive Console, OpenXR is set to Steam (not Vive).

• 4 weeks later...

Hello @imverse

I want to share my experience using Cosmos in Unity with OpenXR.

How to set up

1. Create a new unity project.
2. In Package Manager Import XR Interactions Toolkit.
3. In Package Manager click on the gear icon to go to "Advanced Project Settings". more inofrmation Here (https://developer.vive.com/resources/openxr/openxr-pcvr/tutorials/unity/installing-vive-openxr-pc-vr-plugin/)
4. Add the Vive package from new Scoped Registries
5. Go to Project Settings and add XR Plug-in Management
6. Enable OpenXR
7. Select - HTC Vive Cosmos Controller Support
8. In one scene create all the classic setup for one XRRig using XR

Hit play and It should work 

If it crashes or does not work

1. Run the Registry Editor (as Admin)
2. Visit: Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Khronos\OpenXR\1
3. Open ActiveRuntime
4. In data value set for:

- Vive is "C:\Program Files (x86)\VIVE\UpdaterApp\ViveVRRuntime\ViveVR_openxr\ViveOpenXR.json"
- Oculus is "C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-runtime\oculus_openxr_64.json"

I hope this is helpful.