VIVE OpenXR support for VIVE Cosmos

dario

Hello,

Today I tested OpenXR with my Cosmos and I have to say it's great.

I did the test with MSFS 2020 and was able to see the difference compared to the default Vive software.

Indeed, I was able to see a better graphics rendering and was able to increase my graphics options without this affecting the quality of the game.

I only encountered a problem with the visibility of the glass cockpit, but for that I have to find something to play with in terms of options.

Very good job, thank you.

On 11/29/2020 at 8:15 PM, Dario said:

sorry it's not clear, are you using the OpenXR preview runtime for Cosmos or are you using SteamVR? (both won't run at the same time)

Hello,
If I understand correctly, you should not use SteamVR at the same time as Vive OpenXR.
However, I cannot run MSFS without SteamVR. Therefore, I am forced to run both but it does not give me a problem at the moment. @Dario

We are addressing known issues with MSFS, but normally you wouldn't have to worry about enabling/disabling SteamVR. Once you choose an OpenXR runtime it should just work. Right now MSFS doesn't require controllers so you can choose either runtime. @Kobboyz

@Vytek - That device uses SteamVR tracking (i.e. base stations). My understanding is that for those types of devices you'd still need the SteamVR compositor running but that SteamVR would connect to the application via OpenXR APIs rather than OpenVR (aka SteamVR SDK) APIs. In some cases with Cosmos, since the device is using Vive's internal tracking and compositing runtime, the Vive console can talk directly to an OpenXR application without SteamVR in some use-cases.

That's the beauty of OpenXR - multiple runtime and compositors can utilize a common API set at runtime.

Good afternoon everyone,

I have just received my Cosmos Elite VR (Thursday 7th), I have been attempting to get MS FS2020 to work on this VR goggle with no joy. When I launch FS2020 I see (On my right side a yellow like crescent, that's it, audio is fine. I contacted HTC support and they have noted to me that if MS FS2020 was not purchased via Steam it would not work (I had purchased directly from Microsoft). I'm not sure that's correct, that said, let's say I have tried everything that I find including in this chain with no joy. Can I please request your assistance or kindly advise whom or what site I may find help. I have decided if it's true as for only being able to purchase via Steam, I'm just going to return the headset.

Thank you in advance to all.

MSFS will run on the default OpenXR runtime set in the Krhonos Windows registry. With the Elite you have to use the SteamVR OpenXR runtime - so set that as the default from SteamVR settings. Once you toggle ctrl-tab to launch VR  (once ready to fly) it should work. I would also suggest to turn off desktop 2D view in VR before launching VR.  Are all other SteamVR applications working ok? If you're still seeing an issue with MSFS and Elite, it could be an issue with Valve's SteamVR/OpenXR runtime which is in beta (make sure you select the beta branch for SteamVR). Their runtime is in the process of becoming conformant (official adopter status).

Thank you Dario, I believe that I did perform the SteamVR step that you have suggested (Sorry I have been at it for 12hrs). I did not disable the 2D view, I will do that, I will give it another shot and advise. Thank you

Hi Dario, I have just performed your recommendation with no change, I am not running SteamVR beta 1.15.18, I have disabled 2D view as suggested, in addition, I have confirmed that that within SteamVR (Developer) indicates -   OpenXR runtime: SteamVR