Any farsighted and/or presbyopic Vive users out there?

MartinMarty

I am moderately nearsighted myself, with quite a bit of astigmatism, and I have found that wearing the Vive with no glasses works fine for me, way better than the added clumsiness of trying to do it with glasses.

I would like to turn some people on to VR and a lot of them are older (not that that is relevant) and wear plus glasses prescriptions with bifocals and trifocals.

Can I get some feedback from anyone in that situation of how well they are able to use the Vive with or without glasses? I definitely would not want to be the one who mangles their frames trying to get the headset on them. Even my Mom, I can hear saying, "...him and that stupid computer thing, he said I would see something amazing..."

THANKS,

-Marty

The Vive headset is designed to be comfortably worn with glasses. Remember you can adjust the distance of the lenses from the face by pulling out the side adjustment knobs and sliding the lenses closer (or further away).

This video explains how:

Thanks for the feedback, guys.

, yeah I know the theory, and I'm aware of the knobs, but you'll notice in the video that David Spade with his nice little head and short haircut isn't even wearing glasses, let alone big people with big heads and big frames like me and many of my friends, who look more like the late Chris Farley. Trust me, if you actually wear glasses the Vive solution is [...not that great].

Trying to put the Vive on with my glasses on was very difficult, with frames and lenses bashing into each other, begging for a nice scratch. Even worse was trying to pre-load the glasses into the Vive and then put the whole assembly onto my head.

Basically I stopped before I damaged either set of lenses and that's when I found that going without glasses seemed to work fine.

SInce then I've bought a set of prescription lenses for inside the Vive from VR Lens Lab. They delivered a high quality product at a reasonable  price. The lenses snap in right behind the fresnel lenses. I only have a couple hours using them so far and haven't decided if the improvement was woth the money.

I wear glasses! :) And am a bit more Chris Farley than David Spade... ;)

Of course it's going to vary based on your head, your glasses and so on. I haven't had issues myself, but I have relatively small glasses myself.

Because of the way the lenses work, wearing without glasses generally should not be a great experience, but it'll depend on the VR experience. Basically, it should work the same way real life does, so something further away should blur. You're not looking at two flat screens, basically.

I'd love to hear how you get on with VR Lens Lab, though. Might be a great solution for glasses wearers. It's tricky to get the headset on with glasses as you state, and that's something that's being considered in the hardware going forward.

wrote:

I wear glasses! :) And am a bit more Chris Farley than David Spade... ;)

I'd love to hear how you get on with VR Lens Lab, though. Might be a great solution for glasses wearers. It's tricky to get the headset on with glasses as you state, and that's something that's being considered in the hardware going forward.

LOL & I'll keep you posted regarding the lenses. -Marty

Hello, MartinMarty!

I am in the same position like you, also had a bit of a struggle with my glasses in the headset. To get  inside the Vive with my glasses on (wide wise), but mostly getting out (my glasses seems to stay inside). Since my zeiss glasses are really thin (quite expensive as well), I have no problem with the distance between the glasses and the Vive lenses. Few days ago, I tried without, and actually it seems like there is no any noticable difference except, without them it's much more comfortable. After all even with my glasses on, I  struggle to see clear in far distance for example in Onward, but I guess that's more of an resolution issue, than my vision problems.

So far my incompetent logic tells me that when the resolution of the HMD is anyway not that sharp as we are used to, it doesn't make a big difference. I just played like that couple of days and I'm getting use to it.

However, I'm still interested in opinions about the prescription lenses from VR Lens Lab.

I am presbyopic and was worried I wouldn't be able to focus in the Vive, but I found out it works very well. The only moments I have difficulties is when it is necessary to read small type and really I feel that experience-wise, this characters shouldn't be this small for anybody LOL (an exemple is reading the tablet in World of Diving). I don't think wearing my reading glasses would help at all anyway.

• 3 months later...

Just an update to this discussion...

I did end up learning to use the Vive HMD with my glasses. Because of the large frames I have to pivot them in separately then place the whole HMD+glasses combo on my head in one move. I also turned those knobs out a notch or two to make room for the glasses.

As for the VR Lens Lab lenses, they took a while to arrive but they are excellent. The quality is great and they fit perfectly. Note: I received them months ago - Only now did it occur to me to post an update.

All in retrospect, if you'll be the only one playing your Vive I definitely recommend the VR Lens Lab product. Even if you have to take them in and out for other players, it only takes a few seconds.

As other people have noted, it's also easy enough to play with glasses.

Archived