Joystick values always zero on Quest when running thorugh Oculus Link on OpenVR

pjchardt

ViveInput.GetAxis(HandRole.rightHand, ControllerAxis.JoystickX)

works as expected on Index and Rift. However, on Quest running on OpenVR through Oculus Link the values are always 0.

I looked into a work around solution by checking the deviceModel, but that is returning unknown for Quest controllers.

Unity 2020.2.7f1

VIU 1.12.2

@chengnay

• XR Plugin Manager 4.0.1
  • Oculus XR Plugin 1.8.1
  • OpenVR XR Plugin 1.1.4
  • Oculus Integration 25.0

In XR Plugin Management I do not have Oculus Loader checked, but do have OpenVR loaded checked. I don't want Oculus checked as then I can't access the Steam Overlay through the menu buttons. 

Thanks,

@chengnayI have SteamVR Unity Plugin installed -> SteamVR Unity Plugin - v2.7.3 (sdk 1.14.15) ...Sorry I forgot to include in my last reply.

Rift joysticks have correct values. Just not Quest controllers when running through Oculus Link. Additionally, when I query the device model, I get "unknown" for the controllers.

VRModule.GetDeviceState(ViveRole.GetDeviceIndexEx(m_handRole)).deviceModel;

I looked into things a bit further.

When I enable the Oculus Plugin in XR Plugin Management, I do get the device names. However, I can no longer open the SteamVR overlay using the menu button. I am guessing this is because it finds and loads the Oculus Plugin first, is this correct? That in this case it is not running SteamVR?

When not enabling Oculus Plugin and just enabling OpenVR, I get device names for Touch controllers (when testing on the rift), but not Quest controllers (when testing on Quest using Oculus Link).

This is a problem for joystick input, as joystick input is not working, and I can't hack a temporary workaround because the game doesn't know it is using a Quest controller at runtime (query returns "unknown").

This is also an issue for applying correct controller offsets...at least I have not found a good solution to account for controller offsets on SteamVR other than by looking at device name, which I cannot do for Quest.

@pjchardt I found the root cause and solution.

In Assets\HTC.UnityPlugin\VRModule\VRModuleBase.cs,

line 32,

private static readonly Regex s_oculusRgx = new Regex("^.*(oculus|quest).*$", RegexOptions.IgnoreCase);

Previously, we did not test this scenario and didn't know the name will not have oculus included.

The output of the model name is "Quest (Right Controller)".

Please let me know if you still have issues.

@chengnayThanks! Tested and can confirm it fixes the Joystick issue and the unknown device model issue.

However, I am not getting Quest (Right Controller) though, instead I get deviceModel name = OculusTouchRight

interestingly though, renderModelName = oculus_quest_controller_right

@pjchardt What is your Oculus App version(Settings>General>at the bottom of the list) that installed on your PC?

And also the SteamVR version?

My version is Oculus App version 26.1.0.41.502 and SteamVR version is 1.16.10.

Could you also try to print out the information of the device? Thanks!

In Assets\HTC.UnityPlugin\VRModule\Modules\SteamVRv2Module.cs,

line 564,

Debug.Log("deviceClass: " + currState.deviceClass);
Debug.Log("serialNumber: " + currState.serialNumber);
Debug.Log("modelNumber: " + currState.modelNumber);
Debug.Log("renderModelName: " + currState.renderModelName);

SetupKnownDeviceModel(currState);

@chengnayOculus App Version 26.1.0.41.502 (26.1.0.41.502) SteamVR 1.16.8

• deviceClass: Controller
  • serialNumber: 1PASH9A55N9485_Controller_Right
  • modelNumber: Quest (Right Controller)
  • renderModelName: oculus_quest_controller_right

Line 235 in VRModuleBase.cs is hit in the switch statement when assigning device. 

deviceState.deviceModel = VRModuleDeviceModel.OculusTouchRight;

Looks like the logic assumes either Touch or Rift S?