Tracker Pogo Pin Input in OpenXR

nocanwin

We worked with Valve to get pogo pin working for any number of trackers (not just as hand L/R) - I have a Unity project I can share to demonstrate this.

If you're  asking about in OpenXR - we're working on a vendor extension currently and hope we can complete it soon.

Sorry, I should've been more clear. I meant Unity's new OpenXR Plugin. I'm glad you're working on support!

I've got inputs from multiple non-handed trackers working in both Unity's Legacy and XR Plug-in system. Nice to see Valve finally added input to the bindings menu for non handed trackers. I'd say that means no more hand editing of binding files, but what gets spit can sometimes be a bit of a mess! 🙂 

Edited by nocanwin

• 3 months later...
On 3/25/2021 at 10:44 PM, Dario said:

We worked with Valve to get pogo pin working for any number of trackers (not just as hand L/R) - I have a Unity project I can share to demonstrate this.

If you're  asking about in OpenXR - we're working on a vendor extension currently and hope we can complete it soon.

I wouldn't mind seeing that unity project if you dont mind.

Is there a ballpark eta on the tracker extension for openXR? For our own timelines, we would like to know if we need to develop with alternatives to openXR. Just for my own understanding, the way to currently use puck  trackers with unity's XR interaction toolkit is to use the steam VR plugin for unity. Is this doable alongside openXR and action-based input? I think we would have to set active input handling to "both" for our project, correct?

Thanks for the help

• 1 month later...

I am also very interested in when trackers (Vive Tracker 1.0 specifically) will be tracked via OpenXR.  I am using it in unity 2020.3 but it seems that it's not supported yet.  Until support is available what other options do I have?  Can I use OpenVR for the  headset and controller tracking, and use SteamVR at the same time to track the tracker?  Or is only one API allowed at a time?

@ms82119 & @nocanwin

OpenXR is still extremely early days, especially at the engine level. We're still working with Valve & Kronos to get the trackers added as a supported device type into SteamVR's OpenXR integration, but there may also be additional integration work required by Unity/Epic downstream.

Since this something we inherently have to collaborate with Valve/Kronos with, we don't have timelines to share.  The work is ongoing and this is certainly high on our priority list.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...