Any ETA on when the wireless adapter will be fully compatible with AM4 MOBOs/5000 series CPU's?

joellipenta

Over the last few months, I fought and scrapped and found myself in possession of the parts I wanted to build a new PC. The specs are:

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
AORUS X570 Master
EVGA RTX 3080 XC Ultra
32GB G. Skill Trident Z Neo DDR4 at 3600MHz
850W EVGA PSU

When I first setup the Vive Cosmos Elite and wireless adapter, I was floored. Coming from an i7-8700K, the wireless was buttery smooth. Everything worked great...until it didn't. I started getting the gray screens and then the black screens and then sometimes, it wouldn't come back at all until a reboot. I have a fan mounted on the wireless adapter so the temps on the adapter max out at around 51C, so it's not that. So, I opened a support ticket (
20210404023734) and was basically told it's not compatible.

That stinks mainly because I built this PC because I wanted to really enjoy the wireless VR experience with the Cosmos Elite. So, back to wired for now. I have accepted that. However, I am hoping to have this thread here so others are aware and to use it as a placeholder for updates. I asked support if I could be notified of this being resolved but that wasn't really an option.

So, is there any ETA anyone from HTC can provide? Thanks!

@joellipenta - While work does continue around wireless, I would see that we've probably seen most of the AMD compatibility improvements that we're going to see with the current SKU at this stage in the product life cycle. The broad incompatibility had to due with how certain motherboards are physically wired. There's a limit to how much we can attempt to hotfix using fireware and software as this is sometimes tied to a specific hardware design that OEMs implement when building out motherboards using certain sockets. Some motherboard models were more receptive to our hotfixes than others based on their design.

18 hours ago, HackPerception said:

@joellipenta - While work does continue around wireless, I would see that we've probably seen most of the AMD compatibility improvements that we're going to see with the current SKU at this stage in the product life cycle. The broad incompatibility had to due with how certain motherboards are physically wired. There's a limit to how much we can attempt to hotfix using fireware and software as this is sometimes tied to a specific hardware design that OEMs implement when building out motherboards using certain sockets. Some motherboard models were more receptive to our hotfixes than others based on their design.

Thanks, @HackPerception. That's pretty unfortunate to hear. I will continue to hope that things get better because the difference between wired and wireless is night and day and I have invested quite a bit of money into this and cannot even use it.

12 minutes ago, Beta_Tester said:

This is really interesting. I've got a similar setup to yours, but I have absolutely no issues with Vive wireless at all (literally zero)!!! I've had this running on Cosmos Elite and std.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X

ASRock X570M Pro4 

Sapphire Radeon RX 6800XT

16GB Corsair Vengence RGB Pro @ 3200 MHz

I don't even see any issues with the fact that the WiGig card is plugged into a PCI slot connected to the chipset (rather than a CPU bus-connected one) - which I know others have reported issues with.

Try dropping the overclock on your RAM - I know that others have reported grey screens when running at the maximum speeds. 

Hmmm thanks for the info! That's certainly encouraging. Like I mentioned in my OP, it did work flawlessly at first, then the performance degraded to where I couldn't play for 4-5 minutes without gray and black screens. I'm using the XMP profile for the board and didn't change anything, but I could always try lowering to 3200MHz and see if that helps. 

I still have hope for increased compatibility from HTC and the MOBO manufacturers, so here's hoping!