Vive pro 2 You've exceeded the maximum number of monitors and a number of other bugs and issues. Also some impressions.

Trigen
Message added by C.T.,

With the current NV support, the most monitors you can plug in while using Ultra/Extreme mode is 2, all other modes are 3
If any one have to unplug more monitors than the above limitation, please kindly follow below steps to collect more logs for me.
So that we can clarify the issues with Nvidia ASAP. Much appreciated. 

A set of logs must contain 2 scenarios, 1, a successful connection dumps, and a failed case that doesn't exceed the above limitations 

1. Delete all the subfolders at “Windows\LiveKernelReports
  2. Set the following regkey and reboot the machine:[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\CrashControl\LiveKernelReports]: "DeleteLiveMiniDumps"=dword:00000000
  3. Press "Winkey + Ctrl + Shift + B"
  4. Zip all files inside “Windows\LiveKernelReports.

1 hour ago, mgoldb2 said:

Thank you for giving me the clue I needed to allow me to disable one monitor in software.  I switched one of my 3 monitors too a HDMI cable and now when I disable that monitor in windows am able to use the VP 2 in extreme mode. It look like requiring the cable to be physical disconnected from computer is a issue specific to DisplayPort.

do you mind sharing the configuration with me once again?

1. 3 monitors at the beginning were all plug in with DP port?  + VP2 at DP

2. when you said 1 switch to HDMI, the other 2 remained at DP? + VP2 at DP

46 minutes ago, C.T. said:

do you mind sharing the configuration with me once again?

1. 3 monitors at the beginning were all plug in with DP port?  + VP2 at DP

2. when you said 1 switch to HDMI, the other 2 remained at DP? + VP2 at DP

Running a Asus Strix 3090

I actually was always running

2 monitors on DP +VP2 and 1 monitor on hdmi.

The monitor I wanted to disable was on DP so I switched that one to HDMI and switched the one I wanted to keep always enabled to DP.

It does not work when all 3 monitors are enabled but if I go into windows 10 display setting and disable the monitor that using HDMI it does work.  This is not the case if I disable one of the monitors running DP.  Only way for a monitor on DP to not to count toward count as far as I can tell is to unplug it from computer side.

EDIT:  All 3 monitors are 2560x1440/60hz in case that helps 

Edited by mgoldb2

Disabling does work yes. I do however own a Pimax 8kX and i can run that in large FOV 7680x2160 at 90hz with 3 monitors connected albeit on an older drivers since the new ones are not quite compatible yet. Very close to though.  So im curious why you have that limitation. Is it purely a driver issue and not actually hardware? 

4 hours ago, mgoldb2 said:

Running a Asus Strix 3090

I actually was always running

2 monitors on DP +VP2 and 1 monitor on hdmi.

The monitor I wanted to disable was on DP so I switched that one to HDMI and switched the one I wanted to keep always enabled to DP.

It does not work when all 3 monitors are enabled but if I go into windows 10 display setting and disable the monitor that using HDMI it does work.  This is not the case if I disable one of the monitors running DP.  Only way for a monitor on DP to not to count toward count as far as I can tell is to unplug it from computer side.

EDIT:  All 3 monitors are 2560x1440/60hz in case that helps 

@mgoldb2Thanks for the info, we have submitted request to NV for support. We'll see what we can do after their reply. 

3 hours ago, AwesomeNinja said:

Aorus 3090 xtreme yes. My third monitor is also HDMI so I figured out I could just disable it at the very least instead of unplugging it.

@AwesomeNinja I personally have one 2080s xtreme, gigabyte has the VR mode switch where you can only use 4 ports at the same time, something like 3DP+1HDMI or 3HDMI+1DP. And it will require PC restart to take the switch. I'm not sure if that's still the case with 3090. It may take a few more trial and error to get a hang of it

3 hours ago, Trigen said:

Disabling does work yes. I do however own a Pimax 8kX and i can run that in large FOV 7680x2160 at 90hz with 3 monitors connected albeit on an older drivers since the new ones are not quite compatible yet. Very close to though.  So im curious why you have that limitation. Is it purely a driver issue and not actually hardware? 

@Trigen running on DSC actually required more power than it looks. So it's actually not we intent to limit the maximum monitors numbers, I hope you understand. I did not dig too much into the PiMax 8kX as I don't have the actual device on hand to test it, but I guess they will have the same limitation if they are also running on DSC. 

//In the mean time, we are refining the 224 error code in the coming beta for those we failed to detect, but it may not effect to you who have already got the 224 error msg. 

Appreciate the info C.T

"On DSC, yeah that’s been implemented in production devices since last summer at significant volume so that claim would not be accurate. I imagine some of our work on that technology together with partners smoothed the entrance of new devices like this one." 

Pimax is and has been running DSC for quite some time Pre and after 90hz was achieved. They did have to use an extra USB for the 8kX but after going to a 6m optical its been reduced to 1 usb. Granted their 90hz on the 8kX  is limited to certain drivers for now I was a bit surprised to see the claim of being the first to do so by Vive.  Either way i rank marketing people with politicians. A lot of half truths  

Hopefully its something you will achieve once the software matures. 

@TrigenThe error code you're not seeing is specific to a Vive API - the error you're seeing is originating from the Nvidia API: NVAPI_MAX_DISPLAY_LIMIT_REACHED.

As I explained, this isn't something limited to VP2 - there are other enterprise headsets in market with similar limits. VP2 is just specifically the first headset to integrate Display Compression Steaming to help make more GPUs compatible with the bandwidth requirements of the HMD. That said, this isn't related to DCS so much as it's a headset bandwidth thing. DCS is required for backwards compatibility - it's not really related to the Display limit.

HDMI/DVI lend themselves to being disabled in Windows Settings virtually but the way the Displayport standard works, if the cable is plugged in and low voltage power is detected - it "ennumerates" on the GPU even when it's disabled in Windows.

Just posting to add my limited experience with this issue too.

I have a 2080Ti, two of my monitors are plugged in via HDMI (2x 1920x1080 60hz)  and one via DP (3440x1440 144hz). I should add that I do have the vive wireless adapter connected to the computer, but it's not on the VP2 yet (forgot an accessory). I also have a elgato capture card plugged in too but none of the monitors are connected to it at the moment. 

At high, it runs fine. 

At ultra, it gives me the maximum number of monitors error. Which was expected. However when I unplug one of the HDMI monitors it still doesn't work. I have to unplug both of my HDMI monitors for it to not have the error. I've also tried dropping the refresh rate which didn't make a difference. 

It's inconvenient to say the least, but also not what I was expecting if the other post is accurate that it should at least be able to tolerate two monitors. That said, my long term intention is to get the wireless working on this, but I'm curious if I'll run into similar issues. 

Edited by Dltprm
  • Like 1

On 6/7/2021 at 4:19 PM, C.T. said:

If you are running Ultra or Extreme mode, the limitation is 2 monitors + VP2. 

• Ultra/Extreme mode: Connect at most 2 monitors.
  • Other modes: Connect at most 3 monitors.

The "You've exceeded the maximum number of monitors" error wont disappear unless I unplug 2 out of my 3 monitors, so more like Ultra/Extreme: 1 Monitor at most. 🙃

So I can only use 1 of my 3 monitors when I turn on the HMD....  I use 2 1920x1080 and one 3440x1440 I think that's where the problem comes from. as soon as the HMD is on I can put the 2nd monitor back in then it runs as soon as I plug in the 3rd the PC crashes. But what I also don't understand, why is the resolution different every time, so you can't really optimize??