Vive Pro 2 - the good and the bad - need help with some issues please

12 hours ago, Dltprm said:

Ah I would have just edited post if I could...spent the last hour with chat trying a few things so I figured I'd document what hasn't worked for me so far. 

1) changed display port

2) changed USB port. 

3) Rolled back Nvidia graphics driver to 27.21.14.6663

4) Reset USB in Vive Console

5) Reset USB in Steam Console

6) Confirmed accelerated GPU scheduling was off

7) unplugged and replugged the headset into linkbox

8 unplugged and replugged linkbox from PC. 

===

I will say resetting the USB has made it better, but if it goes to a gray screen it's still noticeable. although as others have mentioned (as far as I can tell mostly on reddit), it sometimes comes back. So I guess we'll see tomorrow. I'll have my wireless kit then too and see if it replicates there, i've read it may "fix" it. 

Photo was from before fixes. 

565156165_PXL_20210611_012037577-Copy.thumb.jpg.2646d8329630f416aa2530e4b1013e23.jpg

Yeah anything you try will not fix it. The only thing that improves it, is time. I think what triggers this is after 1st use, then leave it a few hours or overnight. Then when you turn your PC on, this is when it triggers the displays to break. If you leave it on for a few hours it gradually fades closer to normal, but still never completely disappears. Hard to see in games, so like my photos above, you need a clear neutral colour and then it is more obvious. HTC Technicians have a lot of submissions of data, so they're looking into it. Now we wait a little to see what they suggest.

There is definitely 2 glaring quality control issues here though... the speakers with a low humming sound and the displays breaking. There's no way they didn't see this during QC testing.

18 hours ago, Captnyesterday said:

Any word from HTC on that buzzing headphone sound? It seems like just about everyone is having that issue and I've seen no official response.

Not heard yet, but it has been the weekend, only just Monday still. Gotta give them some time.

I must admit that it has taken me a week of getting to like this Vive Pro 2

Sweetspot - you really have to play around with it, but it will be subjective to all of us having different shaped heads and eyes.

Sound - the low humming is there still, but I'm normally playing something in the background so I don't hear it. Not a massive gamebreaker, but if it was any lounder I would definitely go insane with it all the time.

Displays broken - the displays haven't broken on me since the 4th, 5th and 6th day of using it. After that it has faded away the vertical lines as per my photo, so now it's clear. I might have left the link box on standby like many others and that's what caused it. So I religiously remember to power that off too. The HMD doesn't stay hot though when in standby I noticed. I forgot to turn it off the link box the other night, so I got out ot bed and turned it off again. No issues with the display now.

It's growing on me, but definitely 2 quality control issues still need addressing by HTC.

More just an update on the line situation for me...

It's definitely better when I don't use it for awhile (I had to work this weekend and my vive is now configured for wireless so it had 2 days of not being used). But being hypercritical, I still notice lines on the lower half of the display (but the color issue is less noticeable) and if I look all the way at the bottom of the field of view I can see the green / pink colors lurking there. Honestly it has made me wonder if I just didn't notice it when I first turned it on because it's pretty subtle (and I'm coming from an OG vive, so overall this is a massive leap in quality for me so I was primed to miss that kind of thing). 

I've already started the replacement process and in the mean time hoping to see if someone has a solution, but I haven't seen it yet and haven't heard anything new from HTC (although they've tried to help). Seems more and more like a QC issue since it doesn't seem widespread (although not uncommon either from my casual survey of various places). 

• Like 1

I've not had the display break on me for nearly a week now. It must have been the link box being left on standby mode on the 1st night and not realising it. I've been turning the box off religously just to be sure it doesn't happen again. There has been a couple of version updates since.

The low humming sound seems to be quieter, almost gone. I do hear it if I listen hard for it. Seems better with the latest updates. I've opted into SteamVR BETA and Vive Console BETA.

I think, maybe...crossing fingers the 2 glaring QC issues might be fixed/much better.

On 6/16/2021 at 1:56 PM, AmazingTechVR said:

I've not had the display break on me for nearly a week now. It must have been the link box being left on standby mode on the 1st night and not realising it. I've been turning the box off religously just to be sure it doesn't happen again. There has been a couple of version updates since.

The low humming sound seems to be quieter, almost gone. I do hear it if I listen hard for it. Seems better with the latest updates. I've opted into SteamVR BETA and Vive Console BETA.

I think, maybe...crossing fingers the 2 glaring QC issues might be fixed/much better.

Could be. I have had my Vive Pro 2 for one week now, using it daily around 3-5 hours a day. I have not had an issue yet, I do make sure I turn the Link box off when not gaming.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh no! I think I left my link box on all night! 1st time I've done this in 2 1/2 weeks since owning the Vive Pro 2. Now I have horizontal black banding lines across the whole display.

I originally had the vertical green/red lines in the lower half of the displays, so since then I've turned off the link box every night after not using it. Since then I've been fine.

Last night I didn't give my Amazon Alexa the command the 'Leave the Matrix' where it would normally turn off the base stations and the link box... so I just put my VR on today and I can see what a lot of people were reporting with these black horizontal banding lines. I hope it goes away. I'm using HTC Wireless, so I'm not even plugged into the link box. That is purely on for bluetooth if I want to use my mobile phone in VR.

Not only do I have these black lines, but I could see a ghost image of Amazon website with an office chair. The PC was turned on, no browser was even open. I could clearly see a ghost effect of this web page. Initially thinking interference, but I remembered I've not even opened the browser yet!!!

HTC please fix this issue, if people want to leave the link box on, this shouldn't cause such issues with green/red vertical lines or these horizontal black lines. I hope it goes away after a few hours and I will be sure to turn the link box off when I'm done. Such bad QC for this and the humming sound in the earphones. These things must have 100% been spotted during QC before putting them on the market.