Vive Cosmos Wireless Resolution

I have a Vive Wireless adapter for my cosmos, and the resolution in SteamVR shows 1700x2008 when it is set to 100% ss.

When I use the headset in wired mode it shows a resolution of 2880x3400 at 100% ss

I can crank up the ss while using wireless to match the wired values, and it seems to work fine.

I just want to know if that is the expected behavior for the wireless adapter

On 6/12/2021 at 4:57 AM, TheLooseArrow said:

I am also getting wildly fluctuating frame times in certain games, which does not happen with a wired connection

Probably because the wireless tech is hardware limited, as it's a fairly new and now rather old technology. No solution.

6 hours ago, cate said:

Probably because the wireless tech is hardware limited, as it's a fairly new and now rather old technology. No solution.

Well, is it new or is it old?

Either way I don't believe that there's no solution because there are plenty of people out there using it without the same problems I am having.

The technology that lets you send wirelessly low latency extremely high information (high resolution, high refresh rate, high accuracy) is Intel's WiGig: A form of internet that is exceptionally fast, though is short-range, and can't penetrate.
WiGig for VR seems to have been made 2 years ago, which in terms of computers, is aging -- the 2080ti was 2 years ago. Now there's the supremely beefier 3090.
WiGig is however a new technology, meaning that the Wireless solution VIVE uses, is considered old, and there is likely a much better way of transmitting data, or an upgrade to WiGig that hasn't been invented or imlpemented yet.

So WiGig is a new technology, and VIVE uses an aged version of it - where there is likely something better available.

Oh yeah makes sense that this should be a unique problem in your case. Possibly either your wireless receiver (on your head) is too hot; it is known for thermal issues. A solution is to plug a USB fan into the wireless recievers usb slot, and have it on a push configuration, half way on the edge of the device, half off - for optimal cooling
That or, only other thing I can think of, is either your wireless sender thing (thing on desktop, pointing at you) is not set up well; it should be at a decent height and looking at center of playspace. Also IDK, but I think it helps if you're in a close playspace, so the wiGig waves don't escape.
That or your computer is not good enough for the wireless, so it is bottlenecking somewhere. Can you post your specs?

My Specs:

Ryzen 9 3900x

RTX 3900

32GB of ram

Cosmos Elite Headset

I don't think its a CPU bottleneck because the usage doesn't even seem to rise above 30% when the games are running.

As for heat, I would think that it would require some time before it starts to show issues.  In my case the effect is immediate.

The wireless app always shows full strong connection, but I could try to find a higher vantage point for the antenna.

The frame timing issues also only seem to happen in certain games as well.  Two games that have this issue is Paper beast and Maskmaker. 

Alyx and Steam Home don't seem to have any issues as far as I can tell.

I have pictures of the timing graphs comparing the wired and wireless performance. The other picture is the wireless performance at 4% SS.

OhPj2Nq.png

8a2kXYs.png

Edited by TheLooseArrow

I would like to inform anyone that is interested that I was able to resolve the problem I was having with the framerate fluctuations.

After lots of troubleshooting with HTC tech support, and asking questions on various forums throughout the internet I was unable to find the root cause of this problem.

However, I had one last chance to solve this problem. The Nuclear Option: Re-Installing Windows.

For whatever reason this was able to resolve my issues with frame times, now all the games I have tried have stable framerates when using the wireless adapter.