Base stations power off when computer goes into hibernation

jboss

Is there a way to turn off the base stations when my computer goes into hibernation mode? Or when I close the lid of my laptop? It works fine when I exit SteamVR, but sometimes I leave my laptop on and walk away and then the laptop goes into sleep mode, but the base stations remain active.

If your laptop is plugged into a power point I don't see why you need sleep/hibernation.  You can easily modify your win10 power plan settings to only go into hibernation/sleep when you are running only on your battery.  That's what I do.  Also, I select it to do nothing when I close the lid (I think this was laptop bios option?).

@jboss The only thing in SteamVR that will partially adress what you're seeking is the "Exit SteamVR After" setting in Startup/Shutdown. This will automatically close SteamVR after it sits idle for a specified period, and when SteamVR is shutting down - it will power down the basestations if you have power management turned on.

That said, SteamVR must shut down to send the signal to the basestations. If you close your laptop lid, SteamVR never gets a chance to send out the shutdown command.

I personally use the app BS Companion because it's simply more reliable than SteamVR.

image.thumb.png.e65f418985f23c903ea83cff9fe7f307.png

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, HackPerception said:

@jboss The only thing in SteamVR that will partially adress what you're seeking is the "Exit SteamVR After" setting in Startup/Shutdown. This will automatically close SteamVR after it sits idle for a specified period, and when SteamVR is shutting down - it will power down the basestations if you have power management turned on.

That said, SteamVR must shut down to send the signal to the basestations. If you close your laptop lid, SteamVR never gets a chance to send out the shutdown command.

I personally use the app BS Companion because it's simply more reliable than SteamVR.

image.thumb.png.e65f418985f23c903ea83cff9fe7f307.png

While I do know others who use this and similar apps to do this and/or have remote power point switches, it's unnecessary for me.  I've never had any problems with SteamVR managing this for +1.5 years now.  Also seems unnecessary for laptops to have hibernate/sleep options while plugged into a power point.  If you needed to walk away for a while you could always put a screensaver with locked screen.  Anyway, different strokes for different folks I guess.  Cheers.

Thanks. The laptop power is not the problem. The background for the question is the recommendation to minimise the motor activity of the basestations to avoid breakdown. I recently had to replace one of my 2.0 basestations because it was not working anymore (red led light, indicating hardware failure). before that I never really bothered about the basestations remaining on, but now I want to be a bit more careful.

When I manually exit SteamVR the basestations shut down fine, but in the other situations they remain on.

44 minutes ago, jboss said:

Thanks. The laptop power is not the problem. The background for the question is the recommendation to minimise the motor activity of the basestations to avoid breakdown. I recently had to replace one of my 2.0 basestations because it was not working anymore (red led light, indicating hardware failure). before that I never really bothered about the basestations remaining on, but now I want to be a bit more careful.

When I manually exit SteamVR the basestations shut down fine, but in the other situations they remain on.

Basically your problem is your laptop power plan imho.  If you did not have it set to unnecessarily hibernate/sleep while your laptop is plugged into a power point your base stations would stay on and only turn off when you exited SteamVR.  As you have already found out SteamVR manages this fine.  I also have 2x 2.0 base stations and I've been doing this for +1.5 years without any problems.  Anyway, I cannot add any more here.  Please do whatever you think is best mate.  Cheers.