Upgraded computer but a downgraded experience!

nandrews

It doesn't sound like dropped frames then from the info you posted, but I don't want to take that possibility off the table quite yet. In the Nvidia settings, did you find a setting for Power Mangagement Mode? Make sure it's set to 'Maximum Performance' for SteamVR and your VR apps in the Program Settings tab.

Alternately, you can set the the Power Management Mode settings in the Global Settings tab to 'Maximum Performance' and ensure the VR programs (your VR games, SteamVR, etc) are set to use the global settings in the Program Settings tab. Doing it this way will make sure any program set to use the global settings (which should be the default for most programs) should use your GPU properly.

If that's not solving it, it likely isn't related to your settings or the GPU not being utilized by the PC properly when running VR. While you double check those settings, I'll do some more research and see if I can come up with any other suggestions.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for that. Yes it is slightly concerning. But the Alienware promo said it was suitable for VR and also the independant online/magazine reviews suggested the Alienware was more than capable of running current VR headsets.

I have the Alienware 15 R3 with an i7 and a GTX 1070, so I am fairly comfortable that it should be sufficient - and even an improvement on my desktop (i7, GTX 980) which ran the headset OK.  

But isn't the the Dell Graphics accelerator just a way to change the card without opening up the laptop (which maybe impossible anyway)? So what card you put in the Accelerator becomes the only graphics card and the card is in the laptop is bypassed?

Nigel

Hi again, .

i7 and GTX 1070 can handle pretty good any VR games and apps at this point.  If I were you, if none of the previous suggestions helped, I would format and make a new clean installation of everything.  Of course, if there is nothing else to try. 

If you had a laptop with good i7 CPU but not good enough GPU, the accelerator would help, but right now you have the second fastest mobile GPU on the market, so you don't need that.

The last thing you should try is to take your VR equippment to test it somewhere else on a laptop with similar specs. Maybe some local PC store or a friend. That's how you would know if there is some issues with your VR or laptop.

One thought I have had regarding the slight movement of the display when I move my head. Additionally I have noticed, even when I keep my head quite still, the display moves ever so slightly.

The base stations are at 2 meters, the recommended height, but I have noticed a slight vibration in the base stations when they are running. Might this, as the tripod mounts aren't rock steady, mean the base stations move and cause some variation on the display?

There isn't any other cause to make the base stations move, but their position and stability must be important in keeping the display steady too.

I am considering lowering the height of the tripods holding the base stations. So they might be more steady. Since in the room I first had it set up, they were lower and I didn't notice the slight variations that I do now. 

They must be rock steady! Whatever you do make sure they are not moving while vibrating. And in my understanding that's very possible to be the cause of your issue. Currently in my set up one of the stations is sealed to the ceiling, while the other one is on a tripod, which is a cheap one and not premium quality which I can tell from the not straight position of the leading pod. And yet it does it job at holding the base station without moving. So... yeah try to adjust your tripods somehow so you make sure there is no any movement on the stations. Tracking issues can lead to lag as well, so so far that's the first thing to consider. 

Archived