BSOD (Blue Screen Of Death) when turning on the link box of Vive Pro 2

Rickblade

Hi C.T.,

So far, I have been using the Vive Pro 2 since early June. Recently, I have been experiencing some BSODs (Blue Screen Of Deaths), so far 3 BSOD, when turning on the link box of Vive Pro 2. It occurs from time to time, a few seconds after (i) pushing the button of the Link Box and (ii), almost simultaneously, clicking on the Steam icon to log in. I think it might be related with starting Steam at the same time I push the button of the link box and, maybe, Steam requiring a (small) update.

It's annoying because not only I need to restart the computer, but also I have to reinstall SteamVR app since after rebooting it appears on Steam as uninstalled.

I am using VIVE Console 2.0.17.2 (public version), Windows 10 and I have now checked that Nvidia 471.11 driver. It is very curious, since I previously had Nvidia 471.11 driver installed, but according to your posts regarding BSODs I went back to the previous driver, 466.77, but I do not know how (and when) Nvidia 471.11 driver was reinstalled (I am pretty sure I went back to the previous driver and did not update again to 471.11).

Your feedback on how to solve this issue will be highly appreciated. Meanwhile, I will again go back to the previous Nvidia driver 466.77, just to make sure.

Thank you.

I installed Nvidia driver 466.77. If I have more BSODs with this driver I will let you know.

I wish you could soon solve this issue with Nvidia drivers, so that we can use the latest Nvidia drivers.

Thank you

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 7/10/2021 at 12:45 PM, Rickblade said:

I installed Nvidia driver 466.77. If I have more BSODs with this driver I will let you know.

I wish you could soon solve this issue with Nvidia drivers, so that we can use the latest Nvidia drivers.

Thank you

It's a problem in NVidia's driver, not HTC's fault.  A BSOD means that a driver entered a state it should never get in to, so there isn't really anything HTC can do about it.  Some type of context switch for VR stuff in the NVidia driver is hosed.  That's pretty much entirely on NVidia.

• 1 month later...

I was already on nvidia driver version 496.49 when this BSOD started

I even tried to revert to several previous releases when it was working well but problem remains .

I'm facing BSOD on running any vr game in my vive pro 2.

Steam vr home crashes 
Any viveport game crashes
And non vr game in virtual desktop also crashes

The only thing that runs are virtual desktop and viveport vr before launching any game

Someone please help me .

Am I the only one facing this issue unable to play game on my headset

Edited by Abhishek